cold water fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

katuuuz

negative bacteria magnet
Jul 22, 2008
CT, USA
hey guys, i know what you're thinking, "jesus, this kid is setting up a 4th tank already? his first tank isn't even cycled yet."

rest assured it's just a curiosity of mine. i was wondering (i think it would be an awesome tank) how goldfish, and dannios got along. ((i know goldfish are dannios, just wondering if anyone has kept the 2 together)).

I was thinking like a 30 -40 gallon with 2 - 3 goldfish, and a school of 10-20 dannios. i especially like the white cloud dannios and the long fin white clouds. now their ideal temps being from 64 - 72* F, would a heater even be needed? i mean, granted i pay my heat and a/c lol. i'd say room temperature falls into those parameters. anyways, no rush, look forward to what you have to say.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
I have White Clouds and they are very hardy, and will do fine in a cooler (65-72 degrees) aquarium. However, I keep my White Clouds with 5 SAE's, 3 Otos, and a female Betta so I use a heater which is set at 76 degrees. They prefer a heavily planted tank (my experience).

nchoe123

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2007
what do you mean goldfish are danios? (one "n")

do you mean they're both cyprinids? (i think that's the right word... yes)

as noted, they do get quite large indeed... 6"+ is not uncommon.

Fish Hobbiest

AC Members
Dec 30, 2007
I think he said 'ate' not 'are'.
just pointen that out

katuuuz

negative bacteria magnet
Jul 22, 2008
CT, USA
i think he was referring to my initial thread. thanks for the grammar lesson, nchoe, but my intentions were to find out if goldfish and dannios were compatible without a heater. not what their scientific names were, nor how to spell dannio. this isn't an english language forum so if you're going to be sarcastic, don't even bother replying to my threads.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
No need for the attitude, nchoe was only trying to be helpful, and she's correct on both points - it's spelled Danio, and both Goldfish and Danios are cyprinids.

WCMM and most Danios are subtropical, so you shouldn't have any problems in terms of parameters. I'd imagine they'd start looking like food to the Goldfish though once it grows bigger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store