breeding blue rams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kidbookrev

This space intentionally left blank
Nov 8, 2008
South Central Minnesota
Hi,

I am interested in getting a pair of German Blue rams. They look really cool, and it would be fun if I could breed them. However, our water is very hard, and according to some paper pH test strips I have (I know, not very accurate), and from what my biology teacher has said (he keeps fish), our water is in the 8 ish range. Will blue rams still breed in this?

Also, how do I get a male and female? My LFS has them in one tank.

One final question: Is sand substrate ok? It will be planted.

Thanks!
Isaac

solution7

AC Members
Oct 23, 2008
You can sex them by checking length of dorsal fin and mainly the females will have a pink belly.

Last edited:

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah good luck on the breeding factor my friend that's the same issues i have here as well very hard water and high Ph..

It can be done with the breeding but your gonna have to bring those perimeters down, woods, peat and other natural compounds will bring down the Ph and Hardness for you, its going to be a lot of work on your end and you may even want to invest into a rain barrel collection device so you can use rain water as top offs or water changes..

Good luck my friend..

Dev

AC Members
Dec 29, 2008
Sand substrate will be perfect, just be sure not to get white aragonite (probably stating the obvious there). The best method of sexing rams is by the red belly blush of the females; dorsal is a second indicator but not always accurate, the males first two rays tend to be longer.
If they were to breed in those params, you may still have trouble getting viable eggs due to the hardness. You could try keeping them in RO water with a little added tap water or minerals for buffering, it's usually a pretty cheap and stable route to go for small tanks. As already mentioned, peat moss can be used to lower the pH and hardness even more. If your water is VERY hard, a combination of the two might be the most effective. However, if you go with unprocessed peat (as in loose in a bag from the garden center at a dept. store) it will make your water tea-colored. I've heard the pellets don't as much. Hopefully someone here knows more on that subject, I lost patience with peat moss a couple years back.
If you can, try to get a LFS to test your tank water for KH, GH and pH and post the results here. Even better, get a liquid test kit so you can monitor it regularly if you're going to be messing with the parameters at all, until you have a steady/stable routine.

kidbookrev

Nov 8, 2008
South Central Minnesota
Had the LFS test the water last night:

pH: 7.8
GH: ~250
KH: I can't remember, but it was on the last or second to last color on the chart (very high)

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
DEV has a good post.

gh needs to be low...it helps keep the eggs permeable.

high gh leads to tougher eggs = lower fertilization.

look into RO has stated.

kidbookrev

Nov 8, 2008
South Central Minnesota
If I don't do RO (I can get if from the culligans machine at the grocery store), how well will peat work? Does it work with a HOB filter? How long does it last?

Thanks,
Isaac

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I think it's more about gh than kh....you may need to try reducing the gh..peat is usually used to lower pH but I am not sure it has much effect on the gh of the water.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I agree, breeding may happen in hard water but the chances of eggs getting fertilized is lower.

I'm unsure about peat but tha advantage of RO is that you can mix and match with tap to get your desired results.

kidbookrev

Nov 8, 2008
South Central Minnesota
Ok. If I do decide to get a pair of rams (which I'm not certain about), I will start with our tap water and see how it goes. If I start seeing lots of eggs, I will start to acclimate them to a mixture of RO and tap water.

I doubt this will be a problem, but are petshops generally willing to take juvie blue rams? I'm not going to have a lot of space to raise the babies, so I would have to get them moved out pretty quickly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store