i cant take the wait any longer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

katuuuz

negative bacteria magnet
Jul 22, 2008
CT, USA
i've been "fishy-cycling" my 46gal for about a month now. every time ammonia reaches .25ppm i do a 50% water change. i still have yet to read nitrites, and for that matter, nitrates are obviously not apparent either.

what could possibly happen if i add new fish to the mix? from what i've acquired here my parameters are livable. 0 ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. 78 degrees F, and a 7.4 -7.6 pH. my current stock is 4 black skirt tetra, and 3 zebra dannio.

can i at least add a group of corys to repay myself for this gruelling month of almost daily water changes? obviously i'll stay on top of the parameters and water changes... i don't see how this could hinder the cycle process... my current stock is alive and well. also, any idea when this darned tank will be established? i've been positive i would find nitrites in my water tests for a week and a half now, and everytime - nothing.:swear:

appreciate it.
-mike

Mokomon

You can call me Sharon :)
Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
*Sends Mike some NH "Mystery water"*

:D

katuuuz

negative bacteria magnet
Jul 22, 2008
CT, USA
*Sends Mike some NH "Mystery water"*

:D
haha. you set me up for that one, Sharon. i do have a paypal account ya know! or i could just make the drive up there and pick it up seeing as you are close enough! haha.

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
could you try going back on the wc?????

katuuuz

negative bacteria magnet
Jul 22, 2008
CT, USA
could you try going back on the wc?????
going back as in not do them, or cut them to 25%? people (out of concern for the fish) told me to keep doing what i'm doing, but i'm this close to bringing the fish back and dousing the tank with clear ammonia to get this train going. i would imagine the longer ammonia is present in the tank, the faster the converting bacteria will grow. me totally removing it upon sight isnt doing me any good i wouldn't think... truth is i don't know, hence my asking.

i'm about to get a hampster and call it a day at this rate.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Don't cut back on the water changes. Even small amounts of ammonia and/or nitrite can cause irreparable damage to your fish. Adding new fish will only complicate the matter... the bacteria can only reproduce so quickly, and adding to the bioload when you're at a point where the bacteria haven't caught up yet will only be detrimental to your fishes' health.

Keep doing what you are doing, you are on the right track for sure. I know it's difficult to be patient, but remember the old hobbyist saying I shared with you a while back... nothing good happens quickly in this hobby. ;)

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I totally agree with Sev. If you do find the urge to add fish overwhelming, add a few zebra danios or black skirts. Cories are probably the LAST fish you want to add to an immature tank. Try adding a background, rearranging the aquascape, etc. I know how hard it is not to fiddle with the tank and add fish, but you'll enjoy it much more and for much longer if you don't have fish die off on you. How much light do you have? Try adding plants maybe... Just my 2 cents. I know where you're coming from and just hoping that you can be more patient and avoid the fails that I made.

katuuuz

negative bacteria magnet
Jul 22, 2008
CT, USA
okay okay you got me with the bioload not being able to keep up... makes perfect sense. adding more fish will make it worse, while i was thinking it may make it better. point goes to severum and hooked.

i've got whatever comes stock in the 46g bowfront's hood for lights, and i have added plants not too long ago. how long, exactly am i to wait to expect my nitrite spike for crying out loud?! if it's another month, i may have to tear this thing down and get a bird or something. the sticky in the newbie forum claimed around a month, and i'm comming up on that if i haven't reached it yet. (i think i was set up early week 1 of december)

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Here's an interesting experiment for you (or maybe just b/c I'm a geek, lol)... see which one cycles faster, your fishy cycle 46 or your fishless cycle betta tank! LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store