55g tang ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
what would be a good tang setup for a 55g tank and if anyone hass one i would love to see what yours looks like.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
Do you want ideas for stocking, 'scaping, or both?
both but leave out plants bcuz i dont like plants in my tank. it never turns out good when i do plants.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
If i had the opportunity to set up another 55gal Tanganyika it would be a Tropheus moori or Orange flame bemba set up..

But again trets and sexfasciatus and buescheri all sound just as good as well..

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I'd go with n. occelatus or brevis and calvus. Maybe some leliupi too.
I like this combo; but as I'm not a Tang expert, answer me these questions please (hoping it also will help Austin):
1. How many of each of these trio in a 55gal?
2. Are the shellies and leleupis safe at the long run with calvus which I think is a predatory fish?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I would start with at least a trio of the shelldwellers. A larger group would ensure a better mix of the sexes.

For the calvus a pair would be ideal, although a single fish would be fine as well. They are opportunistic predators that may pose problems when it comes to fry. The brevis or occelatus should be fine with calvus, as would other larger shelldwellers. I would be more hesitant to put them with multifasciatus though.

The leliupi would also work best as a pair or a small group of juveniles, maybe 5-6 to find a true pair. They are generally a solitary species but broods have been known to peacefully coexist with previous generations. Julidochromis would fit nicely in place of the leliupi and care is virtually the same.

Edit: I keep saying leliupi...I mean leleupi :wall:

Last edited:

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
So, will this work well?
6 leleupi juveniles or julies (Which of both behaves better in groups?)
6 brevis
1 pair of calvus (What about a few calvus juveniles?)

Last edited:

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I would personally do julidocromis instead of leleupi, but the number is fine. One more thing is that since they don't tolerate conspecifics you would want to remove other fish if a pair does form.

A group a juvie calvus would work as well as they are slow growers. Just keep in mind that they reach 5-6" as adults.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store