Little fish for little tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
After a lot of research, I got my old betta a 3-gal Eclipse. To make a long story short, he hated the current and it was stressing him out, and as a senior citizen he's got a right to be set in his ways. So I'm getting him a new 2.5gl stillwater tank, and I'm looking for some new lodgers for the filtered eclipse tank.

I really like rasboras, tetras, and cherry barbs, though I think the latter might be get to be too big for the tank. Sigh. So could I mix a couple of harlequins and tetras (neon, glolight, ember are my favorites so far)? If so, how many of each - odds or evens, etc? (Any other suggestions very welcome, too!)

Back to the betta - he's got an algae problem (which is why I tried to switch him to a filtered tank in the first place). I was thinking about getting him a ramshorn snail for a housekeeper. They look small, but would the betta's 2.5 gl tank provide enough food for it? (Note: there's a lot of algae, despite frequent water changes)

More to the point, how do you know when a snail is hungry? I've had plecos and otos before in past tanks, but never a snail, and I'm a complete newbie on invertebrates in general. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks so much!

sleepyskater

Gotta have my Barbs!
Dec 27, 2008
Chicago, Illinois
I think a school (5) of neons would be nice in the 3 Gal

I dont know much about invertebrates but if you have an algee problem it could be from keeping the light on too much, or keeping it (the tank) in the direct sunlight.

Good luck with your tanks!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
:welcome: Welcome to the AC!! I'm not very experienced with snails, but someone will be along soon that is, I'm sure.

Just wanted to say hi, :hi: , and welcome.:)

Mokomon

You can call me Sharon :)
Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
I vote for Bumblebee gobies :)

IMG_1377.JPG IMG_1737.JPG

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
I think a school (5) of neons would be nice in the 3 Gal

I dont know much about invertebrates but if you have an algee problem it could be from keeping the light on too much, or keeping it (the tank) in the direct sunlight.

Good luck with your tanks!
Thank you! No direct sunlight (BAD for bettas), but the place he likes best IS under a lamp. I tried moving him, but he didn't like it. Unlike other bettas I've had, he likes to be in the busiest area of the house. (Plus the light does help keep him a little warmer in winter, which he appreciates.) Downside, as you say, is algae. But I understand that's more a cosmetic issue than a real problem, so if I can keep him happy where he is by getting him a snail housekeeper, it's a win-win.

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
least killifish. very tiny
What a great idea! I'd forgotten about them. Just looked them up. Sounds like the challenge might be finding them in retail, but they'd be perfect for a little tiny tank. Are they really picky, or pretty hardy?

sleepyskater

Gotta have my Barbs!
Dec 27, 2008
Chicago, Illinois
Im pretty sure snails eat whenever they want..
So once the snail is done with the algee, it would find other things to eat.
I think ha ha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store