goldfish deaths

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
So my daughter got a goldfish from the school carnival last Friday. Put it in a new 20 gallon by itself, made sure to net out leftover food (which was ALL the food, it wasn't eating), put in hiding places, covered half the tank with a towel to make it more secluded, monitored the water conditions, did 10% daily water changes... it died Sunday night.

I decided to replace it with an identical fish since she has her heart so set on this fish (although normally if we have a fish die, I tell her). So Monday I replaced the fish before she got home from school. I picked one that looked just like it, but had some qualms since it was hiding towards the back of the tank mostly.

It also refused to eat. On Wednesday (yesterday) I bought another small goldfish (they are both tiny) to put with it, thinking maybe it was too scared to eat and a friend might make it feel reassured. Today it died, but its friend DOES eat and is very active and vigorous. This afternoon I replaced the replacement fish again so my daughter wouldn't find out.

Both the fish that died seemed to rest a lot for a goldfish and didn't even act like they noticed food when it dropped in front of their faces. They were semi-active, but very skittish and panicked whenever someone walked in the room. When they were dying they just stopped trying to swim and within an hour were dead. Any ideas? Were they just stressed out feeder goldfish and there was nothing I could do?

Again, although it's a cycling tank the ammonia and nitrites aren't noticeable in the water, I've been doing daily 10% water changes (I know this slows down the cycling process but keeping my daughter's fish alive is more important to me at the moment), and I haven't left food sitting in the tank.

I really don't want to repeat this fish death episode a 3rd time so any advice is appreciated. In case there is any confusion, I currently have 2 tiny goldfish in a 20 gallon (and HAD 2 other fish that are now dead).

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Feeder fish are typically not very healthy. They've been kept in horrible conditions, and often have burned gills. If the goldfish isn't eating, it's probably a goner.

So, things to do now: keep up those water changes! Crucial to improving their health, and it will NOT lengthen the cycle of the tank. Bacteria continue to divide as long as their food source is present--doesn't matter if there is the exact amount they need, or 3 times that amount. So, the water changes are nothing but good.

Start adding some salt to the water you're putting in. Salt is beneficial in treating nitrite toxicity, and helps the gills continue to provide oxygen for the fish (ammonia and nitrite burn hampers the gills ability to extract O2 from the water). This will help out a lot. Also, make sure there is lots of surface agitation, to keep the dissolved O2 levels high.

Being panicky is pretty common for feeders. Make sure there are lots of hiding places--silk plants, or low light real plants, will help. Anubias would be my choice, since the fish are less likely to eat it. They will get comfortable with activity around them, but it will take a while.

I'd also start feeding some greens. Blanch some lettuce, and put it in for them. It will take them a while to figure out it's food, so be patient and let it stay in there a few days (it won't rot in 2-3 days, but take it out if they aren't eating it by then).

Make sure to keep the water cooler--this will help lessen their stress and reduce their metabolism.

You may also want to look for BioSpira--it can be used to speed up the cycling process.

I'm moving this over to the GF forum--OG.

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
I actually did put in blanched lettuce, I like using veggies as first foods since it doesn't seem to pollute the water as fast. They have poked at it but not eaten any yet. I gave them a very small amount of flakes earlier and netted the rest out.

The fish I got today is eating, and so is the one I got yesterday. They both are very active (though the newest one hides if it notices me in the room). I'm hoping this means they are healthier than the other two. I made sure to pick fish that were up at the front of the tank begging this time round.

I would have bought fish that were bred/kept in better conditions, but I needed a comet to replace the one she had and the only ones I could find were feeders.

Do burned gills heal? This is similar to humans getting chemical burns on the skin?

Thanks!

avoxo

FORE!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 25, 2003
North Providence, RI
Visit site
Hi Dahlia, normally gills will not heal; they are not like human skin but like our lungs. Once damaged it is difficult to repair. Keep in mind though feeder fish are very resilient.

Are you using a good water conditioner when doing the water changes? If not the chlorine or chloramines (combination of ammonia and chlorine) or some other chemical in the water might be hurting your fish. A good water conditioner will help. Everything OG said is perfect advice.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store