Co2 Technical problem..AGAIN. This is torture...Need some help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
I have a pressurized co2 system.

v_v GAHH!!, I have to present what I have, story and everything...okay listen up..

I know it's long, but please bear with me, you will get to the main problem I am having soon after hearing about the hardwares I am using, etc

I am currently using Rex Grigg's Regulator combo, comes with the ideal needle valve, clippard solenoid built onto teh regulator, co2 tubing, check valves, etc everything setup to get ready for one nice tank running with co2....eh, he sent me a bad low pressure gauge that is blown, or bent from the inside, but it still works...the PSI only reaches 20 PSI and beyond that, the meter gets blocked and I will not know what PSI I will have....low pressure can still climb though even with that bent, I know. That arrogant *******. As time moves on, I later got myself a nice rack of three ten gallons close to my main 60 gallon tank. Therefore with time, I decided to buy a 4 port manifold, (installed it, supported by a 1/8" elbow and a extender, under clippard solenoid's 1/8" threading hole or w/e you call it, I am such a noob at this), to provide all tanks with co2, this manifold is from orlando. Faced a problem with only two co2 lines working when i first installed it on my rex regulator =_= the other two lines end isn't working to gas off, so I harshly ignored the problem, so be it with 2 tanks with co2, I stayed with the 2 ports, and on the mean time, I eventually ran out of co2..........Need a co2 fill, so I called my local paintball shop, they said they don't have co2 and they will be closed until February something. What a bummer.

So here's the catch, I found a new paintball location! So I bought a co2 fill yesterday morning, FINALLY;after a painstaking 3 weeks gone by with no co2, and all work and schooling most of the time.

Cool! So yeah! Got co2 filled, cheap price, all happy, got home, co2 installation! wrenched the regulator's nut as tight as possible, turned the valve on, applied working pressure, and there goes the co2! The 2 bubble counters (that are only working) are working great, I can see the bubbles per second! Alright! GREAT!...So what's up then, you ask? The co2 is not creating enough pressure inside the co2 tubing to push the water that is in the co2 tubing (it's forced to stay put in check valve.. familiar?) back into the tank... It's not even pushing anything. NOTHING. I tested the tubing in a cup of water, nothing. HOWEVER the bubbles are still going inside the bubble counters!? So that's whats trippin'!!!!!I know I have the cap, and the o-rings on real tight! I thought I may have tangle the co2 tubing because I needed to screw in the cap which is connected with the co2 tubing, so I unscrewed the co2 bubble counter cap it was all tangly but it looked like it isnt able to restrict co2 flow..and BAMM I TESTED FOR CO2 AND NO FRICKIN CO2 NOW. Sheesh! I got home all excited and this is what I get, what a day. Technical problem. GOD. I need to call that co2/plant technician and get this done with, nope!, I don't think so! unfortunately it's not that easy, HUH. I bought this co2 stuff, so I have to know how to fix things myself. This is maddening! Considering I am really just a co2 tech amateur, I am a little on the inexperienced side..., ya know, it's so truely frustrating.... it's really is and it's a ***** I have to do this fixing by myself...online support sometimes just isn't enough to understand I just the experience! GRRR......I have gone through ups and downs, smiles and frowns, going through the pains of getting so many problems, incidents, spending a lot of money on this stuff, and trying to fix things myself and ignoring the problems, and nooow this?! I FEEL WASTED! Right now, I feel like taking down my three 10 gallons because of all these failures! Just having this problem is such a big letdown for me. It's aggravating!!! You have to admit, everything is not perfect...:headshake2:

*Sigh* Alright enough ranting, Let's get on how to fix these incidents Okay so I have come to the conclusion I believe that there is a malfunction going on inside the regulator? either that or it could it be a air leakage, which I highly doubt (I sealed the threading areas with extra pipe dope, it should be well sealed I believe. The last three folds can be twisted up and down at the same time, but I think the pipe dope is still doing it's job to seal co2? or should it be extremely tight like with blue glue??).

Do you guys know where I can find a great place (yes, I'm looking for that awesome place to get this madness over with) to have my regulator fixed? And have them take a look at my manifold too? what do you guys think of the American Ace hardware store? Never been there. Do they have folks that can help me out?

R
ight now, If there was a chance for someone from another state or mine, that is willing to help me fix this issue I am having by themselves, I would not care to spend the money to have my broken regulator shipped to them and have them look at it... I would do whatever it takes just to get this reg/manifold fixed from pro's. And I would love this done and be done with it.

I'm willing to pay up for anyone who is willing to help me out with this.
ANY CALIFORNIANS HERE??

I will handle the shipping and the cost of the fix. Just let me know.

If there is no live help, PLEASE JUST GUIDE ME HERE. I BEG OF YOU ALL. HELP ME END THIS UTTER GAS FAILING CHAOS

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I answered your other post, so I don't know why you've started another post, but I'll try again to help you.

I have Rex's best regulator with Ideal valve and a manifold with several Falco valves and Rex's bubble counters connected to them, so I'm familiar with the regulator.

Couple of obvious questions, but necessary to eliminate oopses that I've done.

Is your CO2 tank valve open all the way?

Is your solenoid plugged in to electricity?

What does the high pressure valve read?

You said the low pressure can go up to 20, but for this set it back to 11 as shown on Rex's site http://www.rexgrigg.com/regset.html

How many hose connections do you have to the manifold?

Describe each connection:

In example, hose is connected to needle valve then to check valve then to bubble counter then to check valve then to diffuser.

Dumb question, but did you check to make sure your check valves are going the right direction? Can you blow air through them the way they are pointing? I think that might be your problem on the two not working.

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
well... this is why I have diy co2... hehe...

anyway... I would check with the ol' blowin technique... BLOW into your manifold.... maybe it's defective like the one I got... stupid QC... see if the co2 diffusers are bubbling, if not... remove the manifold... then blow into the two tubes... if stil not bubbling... remove what you have next in your line... try blowing again, if that doesnt work... remove whats next... and so on...

if it works from the manifold... good, then it might be your regulator... try removing that and SLIGHTLY opening your co2 tank, if no co2 gets out, you got cheated out if your money, go back to the paintball shop and complain... if co2 comes out... go complain about your regulator

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I'd put money on it not being the regulator or the manifold. Two of the lines wouldn't be working if it was either. My money is on the check valves on the two not working being reversed.

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
well it worked before... so I was putting my money on the co2 tank :D just tryin to help

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
I'm with Pete, sounds like the check valves to me. The thing is, if gas is bubbling consistently through the bubble counters, that means the problem is downstream of the bubble counter. That says to me that either the check valve is malfunctioning/installed backwards or there is a leak downstream of the bubble counter.

One more note, the way gauge works is that it relies on compression of a spring to read gas pressure. If the spring is bent inside the gauge, then it will most likely not read pressure correctly, so that 20 psi that you think you are operating at it likely not 20 psi. As much as it sucks, I'd try to replace the gauge. If Rex won't send/sell you a new gauge, cut your losses and talk to Orlando at Greenleaf Aquarium. He's a nice guy, and would be glad to help you/sell you a low pressure gauge.

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
As I said in his/her other post, Rex will send a replacement for a broken low pressure gauge for $13. I just bought one from him a week or so ago.

To NF, I would definitely look into this. I don't think it will solve your current problem, but it will solve other problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store