all male apistogrammas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MaryPa

AC Members
Oct 21, 2003
York Co.Pennsylvania
Visit site
I`m putting all male apistogrammas in my 20 gal tank.In the tank i`ll have 1" sand,heavily planted and caves.What else will make them feel like they`re in a natural surrounding?How many male can i put in a 20 gal?

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
i think 3 or 4 would be tops since they are territorial bottom dwellers.

there may be a bit of aggression in the tank though as they all try to get some territory.

Kagh't

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
er, i can safely say that your gona have several dead fish soon.

apisto's need suprisingly big territories for their size, and a 20 gal is not suitable for anything more than 2 males, and even then your pushing your luck i'm afraid.

apistos do best in heavily planted tanks with a few cave areas they can call home, go for an amazonian look.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
I agree with Kagh't, I wouldn't do an all male apisto tank. A 20g is only big enough for 1 pair or a trio(1m/1f or 1m/2f) as apisto are cichlids and can be quite aggesive for their size. I have a pair of rams in a 15g and they are constantly chasing eachother if they can see one another. Plus with an all male tank only 1 male will show good color. As the sub dominant males will be drab. WIth all males in such a small tank you are looking for a very stressed tank.

I would do a pair or trio and maybe some other fish and lots of plants and driftwood.

MaryPa

AC Members
Oct 21, 2003
York Co.Pennsylvania
Visit site
I`ve decided to do a male and 3 females with a couple harlequin raspboras as dithers.Thanks for the responses.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store