10 gallon zoanthid tank plan

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
I am planning on moving all my zoanthids into their own 10 gallon. I will use the rocks the are on plus a few others from the tank to get the right layout. I want them out of the 29 because a couple finally gave me another anemone and I don't want to have to worry about them anymore.

I plan on using a 20" incandescent fixture with 2 20watt 50/50 compact fluorescent bulbs from Coralife. I may add a second fixture, the same thing. Do you think this would be too much light (80watts total)? I don't know what to use for filtration. I could get a nano Koralia, or a couple of the really small Zoo Med pumps (60gph each). Do you guys think I should have a skimmer? If so the only one I think I would do is the Fission Nano Skimmer. Do you think I need anything else? Maybe an empty (or with Purigen and Phosphate remover) AquaClear for a place to add topoff water? I will use the 10 gallon Stealth heater.

I am not worried about anything else in particular, but maybe something really small, like a pair of clown gobies. Maybe a small barber's pole goby and a pistol shrimp? I am not sure what I want to add.

What do you guys think?
What changes do you recommend?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
On a tank that small, I wouldn't bother with a skimmer, I'd just do 50% water changes every week, thats what I do on my 10gal frag tank. I have a 70w MH light over it, a small powerhead and a canister filter running empty on it for flow and thats it.

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
I would rather keep water changes lower (less essential to maintain a balance) and go with the skimmer.

got2envy

I'm not skurred.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Maria
the fission nano skimmer is caca don't waste your money :)
get used to water changes in a small tank...they are easy I do 10-20 every week
that should be enough light, def a Koralia #1 a nano won't do much I tried I have a #1 a rio 50 and a HOB

HTH
M

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Kind of off topic but lets say he only has the zoas in there, will regular water changes even be necassary? I wouldn't think zoas or any corals for that matter have a bioload (if any) big enough to need regular water changes.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Water changes will still be necessary to replenish calcium, magnesium, alk, and other trace elements. Zoas won't use them in high amounts like an LPS/SPS tank would, but they still do have some requirements.

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
I use tap water (tons of calcium, alkalinity, etc.) not RO for topoffs. I also use Brightwell Aquatics' Replenish to replace lost trace elements. I am not saying I don't neew water changes or that this replaces water changes, but that it will help reduce the need fro as many water changes. So far so good in my other tank.

Thanks guys.

Anyone else want to chime in with their opinion/experience?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store