quarantine time...?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
Ok, I've had my black moor for a month now, I had bought a fantail at the same time but it died of dropsy the day after the "14 day guarantee" was up. I know whatever caused it was in the petsmart tanks because right afterwards they had a major die-off.
But anyways, my little black moor doesn't seem to have any signs of physical illness other than a lack of activity - he likes to hover in his cave in the QT tank for several hours a day. So, what I'm wondering is, how much longer should I keep him in QT if he keeps showing the same behavior with no changes? He's a pretty small goldie, but still, it's a 10g and I know goldies grow fast.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Most of us do a full month of QT with no signs of disease in the tank. As long as the little guy comes out to eat he is probably fine. As long as you keep the water clean it will do the fish no harm to be in the 10 gallon QT tank for 2-3 months.

Small goldfish will hide when they are in new surroundings. The last time I added in a couple of small fish I had one hide for a full week. Then he finally came out and played with the other fish.

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
Ok, I just discovered the reason he goes in that cave all the time is because of "floaty trouble". He's been going up and slurping up air trying to eat the floating plants. Now he's having trouble swimming down to lower levels of the tank. Guess he's going to be getting peas for a few days, and I'm getting those plants out of there.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
The plants would be adding roughage and helping rather than causing any floating issues. What are you feeding? I always aim for a month as well but have been known to cave at the 3 week period.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
If the plants are too large or too tough for him to eat, he might just be gulping air and that could get some gas into his intestines. Feed some peas and keep the water clean, I say.

If you have access to a microscope, you might do a scrape & scope. Pet store fish often have parasites, and lethargy is often a symptom of parasitic infestations that are otherwise impossible to detect.

If the peas cure the problem and he becomes active again, you've solved the issue. If his behavior continues, you might try running him through a round of praziquantel or a praziquantel-based medication regimen. API General Cure would work, or PraziPond or Aqua-Prazi, if you can get them.

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
Yeah, the plants were too big for him to get down. As far as actual feeding, I alternate with homemade gel food and tetramin flakes - hand fed under the water's surface. I'll be switching him to hikari goldfish gold once it actually gets here (can't get it in town).

No microscope access, but I do a precautionary prazi treatment with new arrivals anyways, unless I get them from another hobbyist.

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
Ok, after a few feedings of nothing but peas and getting the floating plants out, he seems like a new fish - very active and healthy seeming now. So, since it looks like there was nothing wrong but gas I'm moving him into the big tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store