Treating a planted community tank for ICH.... HELP!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gern

AC Members
Jan 6, 2009
I have a heavily planted, 84 gal tank with Congo Tetras, Black Skirt Tetras, Neon Tetras, Blue Gouramis, a Dwarf Gourami, Zebra Danios, Australian Rainbows, Siamese Algae Eaters, Otos, and a very fat female Black Molly. I felt sorry for her and bought a male Black Molly. I isolated him in a 5 gal hospital tank and after a week or so, introduced him to the big tank. Almost immediately he showed signs of ICH. He went back into the hospital and was treated. Once clear he came back and got sick again! This happened a third time and he is once again isolated and healthy. I figure my only option is to treat the big tank! I plan on using NOX ICH at a lttle under half strength. Any recommendations??? Will the treatment hurt the plants? Pond snails came along with some of the plants. Will the treatment hurt them? Should I also increase the temperature? If so, to what and for how long?

Thanks!!!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Ich has already infested your main tank. What are the ingredients of Nox Ich? Raise temperature to 86 degrees Fahrenheit and treat the main tank for 14 days. I use salt but since you already have the treatment ongoing, focus on it. Next time, quarantine your fish for four weeks minimum to be sure.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Mind you, I'd be willing to bet the ich was present in the main tank as a low-level infection that the existing fish were immune to and so didn't show visible symptoms. That's why it's the new fish which is getting infected. It is therefore essential to treat the main tank.

Gern

AC Members
Jan 6, 2009
NOX ICH is 50% NaCl and 50% malachite green. I haven't begun any treatment of the big tank yet. The male molly is clear and is still in the 5 gal hospital tank. Would you just try the heat treatment or just the NOX ICH or both??? Which path will be easiest on the fish, plants and snails? Thanks again!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Heating is there to increase rate of lifecycle. Whether there is heat or not, as long as treatment is there, either will work. Malachite green is toxic to some snails. I'd rather use table salt than attempt the meds.

Edit: I forgot to add that you should dissolve the salt thoroughly and add slowly to the tank.

Last edited:

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
If the fish in the main tank still show no signs of ich I would leave well enough alone. Perhaps the ich (are you certain it is ich?) resides in the 5 gallon and never left the fish during his short residence in the main tank?

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
i would go for about 84-87F.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store