Frag Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
That would make a great frag tank - relatively shallow and a decent amount of surface area. I'd probably get something like a 150w MH pendant to hang over it for lighting.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
I've got a 250w duel light set up. I guess I could run just one of the lights off the ballast, then if another deal like this comes along be ready for the lighting. What would you suggest for a filter? I've got a couple Emperor 280 Power Aquarium Filters.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
A 250w MH on that tank is way overkill, but can be used as long as you keep it raised up high enough. Seems like a lot of wasted electricity though.

I am not a fan of using old tanks, especially ones that have FW turtles in it right now, as a SW frag tank. Too many unknowns as to what went into that tank. It is a nice size tank for a frag tank, but a 20G long is also a very nice frag tank and only $25 new.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Wow where are you getting 20L for 25 bucks? My LFSs get 50 bucks for them.

As far as filtration, I'd probably just go with a bunch of liverock and a few koralias, and do large weekly water changes.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
That must be an in-store thing as they don't even show them online. Don't you think that tank on CL could be sanitized?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
The only thing I get worried about with used tanks is whether a copper-based treatment was ever used. Anything else I think can be cleaned out with a good scrubbing and some bleach, then a whole lot of rinsing and dechlor if you're still worried.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I'm not sure of the exact science behind it, and never had it happen to me, but apparently the copper is absorbed by the silicone seals and can leach back into the water column. Copper is toxic to many (all?) invertebrates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store