Do i NEED carbon in my tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
it's only a 20 gallon FOWLR. 30lbs of live rock and an octopus bh100-f HOB skimmer (rated for tanks up to 90 gallons). the output chamber of this skimmer has a foam block in there for mechanical filtration, the guy at the store said i should put some carbon in a media bag on top of it. is this needed in my setup? i do water changes every week (about 15%) and my water always tests good btw, tank has been up for 4 months, 2 months with livestock)

oh and i don't yet have an RO unit, so i'm using dechlorinated tap water at the moment.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I only run carbon when I'm removing meds (extremely rare) or if something bad happens like a die-off or tank/filter crash.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
There is no requirement to run carbon, it is something each person decides on for their setup. For me, I always run 2 bags of Chemi-pure in my sump and change it out every 30 days.. just an old habit that stuck because I always had success with my tanks since using chemi-pure. My success and the carbon can be completely unrelated and all in my head.. but for me it is like an insurance policy on the tank if anything dies/fouls the water I have carbon in place to deal with it. On the opposite side of the coin I know people that have gone 5+ years without running carbon and have great tanks as well.

If your running tap water like you say, then I would say you should run carbon if that is the case. I know you have been told not to run tap water and I am sure your working on resolving that issue so I won't say any more about that.

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
There is no requirement to run carbon, it is something each person decides on for their setup. For me, I always run 2 bags of Chemi-pure in my sump and change it out every 30 days.. just an old habit that stuck because I always had success with my tanks since using chemi-pure. My success and the carbon can be completely unrelated and all in my head.. but for me it is like an insurance policy on the tank if anything dies/fouls the water I have carbon in place to deal with it. On the opposite side of the coin I know people that have gone 5+ years without running carbon and have great tanks as well.

If your running tap water like you say, then I would say you should run carbon if that is the case. I know you have been told not to run tap water and I am sure your working on resolving that issue so I won't say any more about that.
thanx guys. is there a reason you advise in using carbon because it is tapwater i'm using? i assume it will help remove phosphates or something else? is there a special kind of carbon for saltwater? the stuff i saw at walmart said "for freshwater", made no mention of saltwater anywhere.

all that will be in the tank until then is a firefish, 2 common clowns, a green chromis a cleaner shrimp, some hermits and snails. many have said that with that livestock, conditioned tap water along with my skimmer and liverock will be fine.

but yes, this year before i start with corals i will be investing in an RO unit.:thumbsup:

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Tap water has so many unknowns in it, heavy metals, phosphates, silicates, and many other things I don't even know how to spell.. carbon will help suck up some of that bad stuff.. not all of it, but a good portion. Carbon is carbon.. there is no such thing as FW vs SW carbon, but there is definately different quality of carbon. Stuff you buy cheap at wal-mart/petsmart is the lowest grade carbon you can buy and you will be lucky to have it last 7-10 days.. with high grade carbon like Chemi-Pure it will last 30-60 days depending on your tank. It actually comes out quite a bit cheaper to get the high grade chemi-pure vs the low grade carbon and replacing it every week.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Don't tell anyone. I've been using tap water for 2 years now, but finally breaking down and looking at RO/DI units. I've been lucky, we have well water so my tap water is 0 nitrates, 7dKH and 320 Ca straight out of the tap. I've been having cyano problems lately though, so I think its time to break down and start doing it right.

I know a lot of people will disagree with my approach, but my thought was, I'll try it, and if it doesn't work I'll switch to RO if necessary. Well, it worked for a while, but its time to move up. The only thing to be seen is how long it will take to clear up the algae issue after I start using RO.

edit - as an addendum, I don't recommend doing anything I do - I have slight algae issues, I use tap water, my lighting sucks, my corals grow slow, and my skimmer barely works. I just haven't had the money available to get my tank set up the way I would really like to, so I've basically been doing just enough to keep everything healthy and thats about it.

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
Tap water has so many unknowns in it, heavy metals, phosphates, silicates, and many other things I don't even know how to spell.. carbon will help suck up some of that bad stuff.. not all of it, but a good portion. Carbon is carbon.. there is no such thing as FW vs SW carbon, but there is definately different quality of carbon. Stuff you buy cheap at wal-mart/petsmart is the lowest grade carbon you can buy and you will be lucky to have it last 7-10 days.. with high grade carbon like Chemi-Pure it will last 30-60 days depending on your tank. It actually comes out quite a bit cheaper to get the high grade chemi-pure vs the low grade carbon and replacing it every week.
alright. i guess i'll get some. i have to go back to the store as i forgot to get some spare shells for my hermits. you're right about the cheap stuff. the walmart stuff was about 4 dollars, the stuff at the saltwater store is 17.

for a SW newb like me, is there a way i can gauge on how often i should change it (the carbon) out? i've listed the livestock and rock amount and skimmer and i do 15% water changes every week to 10 days, water always tests good no matter when i check it.

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
Don't tell anyone. I've been using tap water for 2 years now, but finally breaking down and looking at RO/DI units. I've been lucky, we have well water so my tap water is 0 nitrates, 7dKH and 320 Ca straight out of the tap. I've been having cyano problems lately though, so I think its time to break down and start doing it right.

I know a lot of people will disagree with my approach, but my thought was, I'll try it, and if it doesn't work I'll switch to RO if necessary. Well, it worked for a while, but its time to move up. The only thing to be seen is how long it will take to clear up the algae issue after I start using RO.

edit - as an addendum, I don't recommend doing anything I do - I have slight algae issues, I use tap water, my lighting sucks, my corals grow slow, and my skimmer barely works. I just haven't had the money available to get my tank set up the way I would really like to, so I've basically been doing just enough to keep everything healthy and thats about it.
lol, ok. i understand. i have some green hair algae on part of one rock and part of my heater too. i saw the turbo snail eating it yesterday so i hope he helps control it a little.

Blossom112

AC Members
Feb 25, 2008
Toronto
Yep I use tap too but I have to get A RO/DI also like sploke states on the algae i have been fighting and finally it is all but gone away .
I always run carbon as per advice from ace long ago ...search around i get mine for 20 for 5 lbs .......
Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store