Thread: Clown bites me

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    03-02-2014 7:37 PM

Clown bites me

I have had 2 clowns (they said they were percs, but i think they are ocillarous) for over 2 years now. recently added an anemone into the tank (the first they have probably ever seen) but it is a purple tip or haitian or whatever, and they dont host it.
    now anytime my hand is in the tank, the smaller male comes and attacks me. he bites me. it doesnt hurt, but its annoying. i cant add corals, rescape, clean algae or anything without the little nipper nippin at me.
    any suggestions?
    55g FW
    20L FOWLR
    75g Semi-reef in progress

Hindsight is a wonderful thing! Catpicklesdog's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Alison
    Last Activity
    02-02-2013 6:57 AM
    Blog Entries
    Grin and bear it

My (maroon) clown bites me quite often, she hasn't drawn blood but it's not through lack of trying. She particularly hates my LFS who I always get in to do the big jobs.

You could try a mesh screen across to split the tank whilst you're working on one half but other than that I can't think of anything else sorry

With regards to your clowns using an anemone as a host, there is no guarantee. Although my clown did use my BTA, once the anemone died I haven't replaced it and she is now using my leather toadstool.
    [quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by Coler View Post
    I will never abandon my ferret.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coler View Post
    who got me ferret in thur box ??

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    01-12-2014 7:45 PM

Cool

i dont have any answers for the biting thing other than to bear with it but as for the hosting thing i have an idea that i have heard

Now bear with me this does sound out there but from everything i have read it actually works. Find a picture of your particular species of clown hosting the same species of anemone and tape it to the tank near your anemone and from what i have read this makes something click in their brains and they will host it

wirehair
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    10-13-2010 11:38 AM
    The fish is being incredibly brave defending its territory against you, the Giant, by attacking whatever body parts are invading the tank. Kind of funny but from the fishes perspective that is what is happening.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    03-09-2011 7:35 PM
    Clowns are funny, percs in particular. I can literally hand feed my mated pair, particularly the female. She will come up and swim into my hand and eat the food right from my palm, I totally would not need a net to scoop her up. Every time I work in my tank she is constantly swimming right up to my hand. I have even cupped my hand into a tunnel and she has swam into it.

Recently my mated pair has just started hosting in my BTA, within the last three months and I have had that BTA in the tank with them for well over a year now. It just takes time.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    09-02-2009 11:56 AM

Clown bites me

generally clowns get along best when they are in a tank with other peaceful species such as your firefish, and are introduced last. that way the other fish have a territory, and the clown wont be provoked since the others arent attacking it. occelaris and perculas are the most peaceful clowns so maybe just a tempermental individual?
    Last edited by fsn77; 08-26-2009 at 2:36 PM. Reason: Removed link / content unrelated to the thread's topic.

www.centralcoastreefclub. com Ace25's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Blog Entries
    Stupid spammers.. DO NOT click on that link above.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    10-10-2011 6:48 PM
    I've been nipped by my clown and puffer before...it's nothing harmful. More startling than anything else. But funny once you realize what it is. They just sort of "taste" it...like a lick. If they really wanted to bite, you would know what a bite is and it would probably pierce your skin.
    Fish are friends; not food.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    07-20-2011 8:11 AM
    My clowns never bite me(stripeless ocellaris and true perc), but they do eat out of my hands. Espically the perc, he comes up and pulls pieces of food out. Extremely neat

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    02-11-2010 6:03 AM
    easy solved take 1 tea spoon of cement, and harden up. lol its only a tinny little fish.
    Rams pics

Thread Information