Clown bites me

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ibanezgfx

AC Members
Nov 7, 2005
I have had 2 clowns (they said they were percs, but i think they are ocillarous) for over 2 years now. recently added an anemone into the tank (the first they have probably ever seen) but it is a purple tip or haitian or whatever, and they dont host it.
now anytime my hand is in the tank, the smaller male comes and attacks me. he bites me. it doesnt hurt, but its annoying. i cant add corals, rescape, clean algae or anything without the little nipper nippin at me.
any suggestions?

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Grin and bear it:)

My (maroon) clown bites me quite often, she hasn't drawn blood but it's not through lack of trying. She particularly hates my LFS who I always get in to do the big jobs.

You could try a mesh screen across to split the tank whilst you're working on one half but other than that I can't think of anything else sorry;)

With regards to your clowns using an anemone as a host, there is no guarantee. Although my clown did use my BTA, once the anemone died I haven't replaced it and she is now using my leather toadstool.

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
i dont have any answers for the biting thing other than to bear with it but as for the hosting thing i have an idea that i have heard

Now bear with me this does sound out there but from everything i have read it actually works. Find a picture of your particular species of clown hosting the same species of anemone and tape it to the tank near your anemone and from what i have read this makes something click in their brains and they will host it

Cliff Mayes

wirehair
Feb 19, 2007
Western, NY
The fish is being incredibly brave defending its territory against you, the Giant, by attacking whatever body parts are invading the tank. Kind of funny but from the fishes perspective that is what is happening.

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
Clowns are funny, percs in particular. I can literally hand feed my mated pair, particularly the female. She will come up and swim into my hand and eat the food right from my palm, I totally would not need a net to scoop her up. Every time I work in my tank she is constantly swimming right up to my hand. I have even cupped my hand into a tunnel and she has swam into it.

Recently my mated pair has just started hosting in my BTA, within the last three months and I have had that BTA in the tank with them for well over a year now. It just takes time.

Antinostact

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
generally clowns get along best when they are in a tank with other peaceful species such as your firefish, and are introduced last. that way the other fish have a territory, and the clown wont be provoked since the others arent attacking it. occelaris and perculas are the most peaceful clowns so maybe just a tempermental individual?

Last edited by a moderator:

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
I've been nipped by my clown and puffer before...it's nothing harmful. More startling than anything else. But funny once you realize what it is. They just sort of "taste" it...like a lick. If they really wanted to bite, you would know what a bite is and it would probably pierce your skin.

Random name

AC Members
Jul 26, 2009
My clowns never bite me(stripeless ocellaris and true perc), but they do eat out of my hands. Espically the perc, he comes up and pulls pieces of food out. Extremely neat :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store