How many types of blue fish are there?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Other than blue tangs and damsels, what is there that is available in the hobby?

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
ughh, the possibilities...

neon gobies, Elacatinus oceanops

yellowhead jawfish, Opistognathus aurifrons

chalk bass, Serranus tortugarum

Ptereleotris heteroptera

indigo hamlet

leopard wrasse, Macropharyngodon meleagris

bird wrasse, Gomphosus varius

blue head wrasse, Thalassoma bifasciatum

goldbar wrasse, Thalassoma hebraicum

and those are all just off of liveaquaria.com

is this just a general question or are you looking for somthing to go in a particular setup?

Last edited:

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
angels, wrasses, gobies, blennies, triggers.. just to name a few.. I think there is a blue variety of almost every type out there.. finding ones that are suitable for an aquarium may be the hardest part. Just type in "Blue (fish type)" in google images and you will see. I just typed in Blue Trigger, Blue Wrasse, Blue Angel and I got pictures of each.. the blue angel doesn't really look blue to me.. probably adult coloring, and it is a large angel, not a dwarf.

jabberjaw

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
Angels? A lot of them are blue in their juvenile stage & will mature into large colorful fish - many with a lot of blue on them :)

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
I didn't see any blue wrasses...tangs I don't have a big enough tank. I have a 72 gallon btw. I just bought a solar fairy wrasse today. I have a blue spot puffer...angels are also too big. I guess something that would be good for a 72 gallon? What do you guys think? Reef safe-reef cautious would be ideal.

jabberjaw

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
Bi-color angel maybe? (they are a dwarf angel that is bright yellow & blue)

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Oh wow, that Hamlet is a cool looking fish.. but seems like it wants to be a little devil like a damsel just from the looks.. I know, can't tell anything like that from the picture.. but it just seems like it has that evil look in its eyes. lol.

Some reason I think Bi-Color angels are not reef safe. I could be wrong on that though.

jabberjaw

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
I think 'with caution' is the case with the bi-colours
(mine has been fine... well so far anyways)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store