T-bar cichlid / Sajica

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mandy-2007

AC Members
Feb 3, 2007
Australia, NSW
Hey guys, havn't posted in a while, just lurking in the dark corners of the deep blue. . . .

Well I was hoping you guys can help me with some compatibility with the T-bar cichlid (aka sajica). I have a 105gallon tank, in the last stages of being cycled. I have gone through some stocking lists through here before, so I was wondering if the T-bar cichlid would be compatible with keyholes, bolivian rams, blue rams, angel, and cories.

I have some background info, it is related to the convict but "apparently" less aggressive, but would it be too much for the other fish (as in aggression) or would they not fit in my tank (size).

I've added a picture from google, in case there are other common names

Thanks guys, any information on this fish would be greatly appreciated!

-Manda

sajica_pair_jeff_rapps.jpg

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I wouldn't put angels with them and the rams might get bullied a bit, but the keyholes should do fine. Chocolate cichlids (temporalis) would do well with them. Festivum too. The cories will be ok as well. Some yoyo loaches would be good. An assortment of rainbows would fill out the tank. Pretty much any of the Geophagus will too.

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
Well I was hoping you guys can help me with some compatibility with the T-bar cichlid (aka sajica).
You mean sajica (aka T-bar cichid) :)

Cryptoheros sajica are pretty mild mannered. In your 105gallon tank they will probably be fine with all on your list. If you get a pair they will tend to keep to themselves as long as nothing gets in the way. I've had a small pair command an entire 3/4 of a 6' aquarium with MUCH larger cichlids in it once the fry became free swimming.

T_Bars

AC Members
Oct 23, 2008
I agree w/ the last post...everything, but the angels. Even once pairs are formed (any of them) with a tank that size, they'll work it out without any real serious aggression issues.

theojtaylor

Registered Member
Jan 25, 2006
T-Bar Cichlid

I have been looking for these for months. I live in Greenville, SC and cannot even special order from my LPS. Any information you can provide as to where I can purchase I would really appreciat it!

Thanks,

Ted Taylor
theojtaylor@yahoo.com

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Sajica can be kept with anything smaller that will not fit into it's mouth. It also can be kept with larger semi-aggressive cichlids so long as they don't fit in their mouth. If you keep more than one or one pair in a tank, expect aggression between them as they do not play well with their own kind. They grow to about 5-6", with the male being a bit larger and bulkier than the female. The male also should develope a nuchal hump. I have mine in a 110 gal tank with Bolivian Rams, Bosemani Rainbows, Rummynose Tetra, Glolite Tetra, Aeneus cory cats, Bridgesii Snails, & BN pleco.....They chase, but do not attack anyone. Even the bridgesii antanae are long and intact. They are, however, like the convict once they spawn and are very voracious parents, keeping everyone away from their spawn/fry.

Jeff Rapps www.tangledupincichlids.com

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store