Sodium Thiosulfate questions .

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
Hi ,

I'm currently using sodium thiosulfate to dechlorinate our tapwater.
but wondering , will sodium thiosulfate cause whitish growth on tanks?
also does sodium thiosulfate cause ph to drop when too much is used?

thanks.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Hi ,

I'm currently using sodium thiosulfate to dechlorinate our tapwater.
but wondering , will sodium thiosulfate cause whitish growth on tanks?
No
also does sodium thiosulfate cause ph to drop when too much is used?
It is not likely.
thanks.
The white stuff is either mineral deposits or bacteria/fungus.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Hmmm...I'm not sure if I remember right if you've already been advised to use crushed corals in the previous threads? You have an option for crushed oyster shells, limestones and marble chips placed in your filter to adjust the water chemistry. Those should help avoid the pH dropping too much. I did figure out some parts in Manila have soft water. Wondered why I had trouble getting the shampoo out of my hair when I lodged in one hotel there.lol A friend confirmed they also have soft water and she had issues as well with her pH fluctuating.

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
Hmmm...I'm not sure if I remember right if you've already been advised to use crushed corals in the previous threads? You have an option for crushed oyster shells, limestones and marble chips placed in your filter to adjust the water chemistry. Those should help avoid the pH dropping too much. I did figure out some parts in Manila have soft water. Wondered why I had trouble getting the shampoo out of my hair when I lodged in one hotel there.lol A friend confirmed they also have soft water and she had issues as well with her pH fluctuating.
thanks Lupin :) yup I now have crushed corals in my tank, all tanks are now stable :)
I had ph crash problems last year, now suspecting overdose of sodium thiosulfate could have contributed to my problem?

i just found a link which said 3 tablespoon of sodium thiosulfate is enough to drchlorinate 1000 gals of water, but lat year when my ph crashed, I was using about 3-5 tablespoons of sodium thiosulfate crystal for my 300 gal tank, so i'm curious now if it could have cintributed to my ph crash :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store