help my angel please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

longer

AC Members
Jan 14, 2003
victoria bc
Visit site
hello everyone. i got a problem. one of my angels is swimming on his side. this has been going on for 5 days or so. i already posted in the newbie section trying to get some help, and got some great tips but he is still sick and i was hoping to get some more help here, i think its getting worse. anyways, i noticed he was acting weird, swimming under the overflow from my HOB filter and away from the light. so i did a big waterchange, and vaccumed the gravel etc.. then i tested for ammonia and PH, (the only tests i have right now) PH was 6.5 and ammonia was zero. i bought him bloodworms to see if he would eat those and it worked. but he would keep going back to his spot. i tried changing the temp and leaving the lights off, thought it might help. but to no avail he is still swimming sideways and it looks like he is negatively bouyant, he keeps swimming to stay afloat. anyways, any ideas or questions would be great cuz i would like to save this guy.. thanks in advance

longer

ps there are no tears in his fins or white spots etc.....

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
Well, it is difficult to definitively diagose, but you might have a swim bladder disorder here. If that is the case, removing it to a quarantine tank with a temperature about 9F higher than your current tank might help, as might treating it with a proprietary antibacterial medication (such as Maracyn I and II). None of this is guaranteed to produce results, but all are recommended remedies in the standard literature.

Good luck.

P.S. You might want to check water quality
(GH, KH, pH, nitrAtes) to see if there are any
problems there also. Repeated water changes will help
with almost all of these.

longer

AC Members
Jan 14, 2003
victoria bc
Visit site
sorry for the delay.. i dont have a qtank, but i will go get some melafix stuff today. thanks for the reply

:D

longer

AC Members
Jan 14, 2003
victoria bc
Visit site
welll i just picked up some maracyn two and ive rigged a qtank up outta rubbermaid container and aquaclear 500 HOB. (i dont know if that will be enough filtration, JK) the container is about 5 gallons worth.... but we shall see. what temp do you reccomend to have the water at. currently the main tank is at 80 degrees...

thanks again

longer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store