Need some acclimation advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishApprentice

AC Members
Feb 27, 2008
Hey guys, I just set up a 20 gal brackish tank. I plan on putting a figure eight puffer in there for now. I am not sure how the LFS keeps them, but I am assuming they keep them in freshwater.

I did a little research online and it said to start off with a SG of 1.002 for the first week or so. This tank is brand new and not cycled (I planned on just taking the filter media out of my main freshwater tank and putting it into the filter in the BW tank. Will that be ok? I read that the bacteria also need to adjust to BW so that another reason to start at 1.002.

Also, will my API Freshwater test kit work in BW? I am going to assume no, which stinks cause the test kits are expensive. Also also what do you guys think as far as tank mates go? The SG will eventually be 1.005 but will that be too high to acclimate fish as tankmates at a later date?

Ok so, lets highlight my questions here.

1.) Acclimation SG of 1.002, is this correct?
2.) In BOLD, is that an OK procedure?
3.) Will an API FW Test Kit work in such a small SG ?
4.) What tankmates do you think I should go with, and is 1.005 SG too much to just add them in at a later date.

Sorry I am a new to BW and I have been excited, and at the same time a little nervous about getting my feet wet so to speak.

Thank you for any advice!!!!

-FishApprentice

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
Raise your SG slowly by .001 every few days to give the bacteria a chance to acclimatise. When introducing fish from fresh water to brackish do so slowly, i take about an hour to acclimatise fish from fresh to brackish.
I use the same test kit as i use on freshwater tanks for my brackish.
As for tank mates it isn't recommended to put other fish with puffers but i have had success keeping mollies and knight gobies with my figure eight puffers in a 35g tank, a 20g might be to small for tank mates though.

FishApprentice

AC Members
Feb 27, 2008
Ok so my tank is at 1.002 right now, should I take some water out then? Or will 1.002 be tolerable?

If I need to remove water, how much do you think would be removed to drop it by .001 ?

Sorry, like I said, I'm a noobie when it comes to adding/subtracting salt.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
To go from 1.002 to 1.001, replace half the brackish water with tap water. Moving cycled filter media from FW to water with SG of 1.001 should be fine. As mentioned, just raise it slowly in small increments.

FishApprentice

AC Members
Feb 27, 2008
thanks for the help, my hydrometer is not so accurate. It reads 1.000 - 1.004, nothing in between, but it read halfway between them, so I figured that's 1.002, reading 1.001 should be fun :p

Oh and BTW sploke, awesome BW article, didn't read it before posting... shame on me.

FishApprentice

AC Members
Feb 27, 2008
Even from changing a fish from 1.000 - 1.001 the acclimation process will take up to an hour? It's no problem, I'm just curious about it. Would it be ok to float him in the tank (in the bag or contain that he came in) and just use a water test tube to add 5ml of water from the tank into the bag every maybe 10 min or so? Would that be too much or too little? Thats what I do to acclimate fish from the LFS to my Freshwater aquarium, but going from FW to BW might take a bit more time.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
A salinity change of .001 isn't that big a deal, especially for a brackish fish. The slow rate of change in going from FW to BW is more to coddle your bacterial colony in the filter than the fish. If you do a standard acclimation of 20-30 min you should be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store