Yellowstripe Maroon Clownfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Sep 14, 2003
www.geocities.com
Ive been looking at some fish and found this yellowstripe maroon clownfish. I was thinking of getting a pair of percula clowns and a pair of yellowstripe maroon clowns...but, it says in this magazine that they are aggressive and to put them w/ fish the same size or larger. *Also says it will spit gravel at human visitors in an attempt to intimidate them.:cool: *

I know they get about twice as big as the perculas, just wondering if they would get along w/ them and other fish in the tank. I know what the mag. says, but i thought maybe someone on here may have experience or know more about them.

just a thought, thanks

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
My maroon clown was a butthead. He was all about harassing other fish, but he got his rear end kicked by a blue devil damsel. In the end, I had to remove both the clown and the damsel because they were making everyone else in the tank miserable.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Unless the tank is enormous, the perculas won't stand a chance. Maroon clowns are beautiful, but get large and are probably the most aggressive of the clowns. In this case, I agree with the mag.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Mixing clowns is a tough call. I've seen tanks with 3-4 different kinds of clowns, and they all seemed to get along. My experience was much different. We added a maroon to a 65 that had a pair of percs. Within 24 hours, the percs killed the maroon, even though it was bigger then them. It was awful. The percs didn't start attacking until the lights came on the morning after adding the perc--and by the time we got home, the maroon was a tattered mess. The percs would drag it to the overflow, where it was too weak to resist being pulled over.

We ended up getting rid of the percs--they were a handsome pair, but they annoyed corals, chased the other fish and were a general PITA. We're considering adding a maroon to the FO--but even with the tough kids in that tank, we're hesitant.

Sep 14, 2003
www.geocities.com
sounds like a bad idea. i guess ill consider one or the other...which would be best for a nice community tank? perculas?

thanks

frazin78

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
I had two clowns before. One was a smaller Percula and the slightly bigger banded clown. The banded clown would not the percula get out of his corner.. he would move one inch and the other fish would bolt right towards him. The banded clown was removed within 1 day, my tank has no room for bullies.

Jc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store