Plexi-Glass for a 20 gallon tall planted

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bennylax3

Who wants to go to Fire Lake?
Jan 3, 2004
Michigan
I tried a few searchs but couldn't find answer so sorry if this was already covered.

A need a new cover for 20 gallon and would like to just go to home depot and get a piece of plexiglass.

Is there a big differance between glass and plexigalss for allowing the light through?

The light I am using is contians 1 One 24 Watt SlimPaq 10K and 1 T-5 HO Plant Grow Fluorescent Tubes 24" 24W Plant Grow.

Thanks for any help ahead of time.

Scott

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
^what he said

actually, acrylic/plexiglass has better light properties than glass of the same thickness. It's just that plexi is a much softer material and must be cared for correctly.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
There are different types of clear plastic commonly referred to as Plexi..
the 2 most common are

acrylic..
which is usually the cheapest, and weakest.

then there is clear polycarbonate.
this stuff is bulletproof glass. If you decide to go plastic, find some clear polycarbonate.

regular glass is probably the cheapest way to go.

bennylax3

Who wants to go to Fire Lake?
Jan 3, 2004
Michigan
Thanks for the replies.

I want a cover to keep the evaporation rate down.

I used to work for a glazing company and polycarbonate is very pricey. I would go glass before that but thanks for the suggestion. It would be to easy and nice if I still worked there.

duke33

Hillbilly MFKer
Dec 3, 2007
central WV
Yes but not everyone has legs for there lights, I'd love to get rid of my tops but water sometimes splashes out of my tanks and the cover makes sure its not getting my walls of floors wet.
I'm not recommending it..but I put my lights right on the tank. The coralife have their own covers and the other light strips are'nt on tanks that may splash. Look at my avatar.

fgump

AC Members
May 17, 2007
Utah
I've lost a couple of fish even with a cover. Somehow they find the little gaps in the cover where it's cut out to fit the filter, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store