Gecko Tank Under Construction

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Well I thought I'd take a crack at building a fake rock wall for a new Leopard Gecko tank I got off a friend of mine. The tank is an Oceanic Lizard Lounge that is roughly the size of a 40 gallon breeder. I helped the same friend who gave me this tank with building a fake rock wall so I'm hoping it all goes the same. I'm doing it a little different though because I'm using "Great Stuff" insulation foam sprayed onto a sheet of foam board. What's great about this spray foam is that once it dries you can carve it however you want.

Here's a photo of the tank and the foam board after I sprayed it with 3 cans of foam. I want to thank Msjinkzd for giving me that awesome piece of driftwood. :)

After I let it dry for a few days I started carving it with xacto knives and different dremel tools. Here's what it looks like after I was done making a mess (and yes, it makes a terrible mess so plan ahead).

Last night I started painting over the etched foam with tile grout. I added a bit of play sand to the mixture to give it more detail. As of right now the grout is still a little damp. I plan on adding another coat this weekend to strengthen it. Pics to come, wish me luck!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
good luck! the drywall tools (the ones that look like cheese graters) work good on that stuff too to even out high and low spots.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Thats comin along nicely, I look forward to the new pics. Are you going to attempt any plants?

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Thats comin along nicely, I look forward to the new pics. Are you going to attempt any plants?
Thanks and yes, I'm going to try to stick a few live plants in the tank. I have an aloe and a few other succulents I'd like to add in the setup.

Mokomon

You can call me Sharon :)
Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
Awesome!

Some people have great imaginations, me, not so much :(

BreellaBlue87

2009: The year of the Bat
Dec 8, 2008
Central New York
Some ideas from my experience with walls... mix sand with the tile grout to add more traction (also, IMO it looks better). I've a rock wall I made in my bearded dragon tank, I've had chipping in the areas where I've some great stuff foam, but it was also one of the areas that did not get a lot of sealant. Seal with a liquid water base, not a spray. I learned the hard way that a spray does not work well.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Some ideas from my experience with walls... mix sand with the tile grout to add more traction (also, IMO it looks better). I've a rock wall I made in my bearded dragon tank, I've had chipping in the areas where I've some great stuff foam, but it was also one of the areas that did not get a lot of sealant. Seal with a liquid water base, not a spray. I learned the hard way that a spray does not work well.
I'm way ahead of you, I mixed play sand with the grout. I'm adding multiple layers of grout and sand to give it strength. When I helped a friend make a wall for his leopard and viper geckos, we didn't seal it at all and it's holding up fine. But I'll look in to it. What type of sealant did you use? Was it water based because I believe that's the only safe type to use.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A great beginning!

BreellaBlue87

2009: The year of the Bat
Dec 8, 2008
Central New York
I'll have to find the bottle, it was the only water based one my local Lowes had, i kinda wish I had just ordered some from the internet. I was looking for a specific brand that some other people had recomended but Reptilerooms.com fourms never recovered all the old posts after they were hacked and I can't seem to find my old build thread there, and I can't get in to BeardedDragon.org to check there right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store