Sick Fancy Guppies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zenz

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
I got 3 male fancy tail guppies a few months ago. Right away, I noticed that their tails were a little nipped and I didn't know what in the tank could be doing it and I never saw it happening. After a couple of days, things settled down and the guppies seemed to settle in and appeared "happy". There were two that got along best and one that was the outsider and usually swam by himself. Still though, all three would swim around the tank and looked pretty.

One day recently, I saw one of the guppies hanging at the top of the tank and most of his tail was gone and I could see some scales hanging from his skin where he had been nipped at. I now deduced that the culprits were the OTHER guppies and the bigger one was still kind of pushing this "sick" one around the tank.

I purchased a new 6 gallon tank for my son's room, got it all set up and removed the sick guppy and placed it in the new tank where it did very well and seems healthy and has recovered to normal swimming around and healthy looking skin although the tail has not grown back yet (it's only been about a week).

Now today I see that one of the other guppies in the main tank has the same symptoms that the first had. His tail is nipped down pretty bad, scales are hanging from nips, he has white spots and is hanging at the top of the tank. The third one who has always been the bully is hiding under a plant and doesn't look very happy but doesn't seem "sick".

So now I don't know what to do. Obviously these male guppies cannot be in the tanks together but I cannot purchase another tank for the third guppy and the fish store is not going to take a sick fish with nipped up tail.

Should I put the second sick guppy in the 6 gallon with the first sick guppy or will they just fight? I'm 90% positive that it's the third one who still has most of his tail who is the bully and the one who picked on the other two so maybe this will solve the problem.

Second question is what should I do about these white spots? I assume it's from the sores where he was picked on. is it ick? Will it spread to the other fish?

All help is appreciated!

Main tank is 29 gallon with the following:

2 blue rams
2 dwarf gourami
3 red arc pencilfish
5 cardinal tetras
2 fancy tail guppies

Second tank is 6 gallon with 1 fancy tail guppy only.

I'm willing to mix and match between tanks to do what's necessary to try to save them.

Also adding that the water parameters in the main tank are tested and good. I do 25 - 30% water change every week to week and a half. It is currently due for a change but figuring out what to do with the fish and possible treatment before I do the weekly water change.

Last edited:

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
Are you certain you are not dealing with tail rot?

Zenz

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
No I'm not certain of that. I will research it to see.

However the tails were totally clean. There was no gunk or icky stuff on their tails. At night they would look beautiful and in the morning, they were tattered or actually it was weird how evenly chewed they were.

I am in the process of moving sick guppy #2 to the 6 gallon and will take a photo of him once he's in the tank.

FluffynTex

Whatever it is -- I didn't do it!
May 21, 2008
West Texas
I have approx 75 guppies in a 55 gallon tank and none of the fight or nip fins. I think you are either dealing with fin rot or most probably the gourami are the culprits. I got rid of my gourami because they were so mean. Just my 2 cents.

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
Yep, I have found gourami + guppies = :(

Zenz

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Well I put sickie #2 in the 6 gallon with sickie #1 and they started nipping right away. >sigh< I just don't have any way to separate all 3.

The first shot is sickie #1 who has recovered but still has a munched tail and second shot is sickie #2 with munched tail and white spots.

IMG_0974.jpg IMG_0968.jpg

Zenz

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Yep, I have found gourami + guppies = :(
Interesting! So if I go with that theory, I can move all 3 male guppies to the 6 gallon and problem should be solved. I could definitely live with that.

Zenz

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Unfortunately I don't think it's the gouramis. I just sat and watched the two guppies in the 6 gallon and sickie #1 is constant nipping at the tail and body of sickie #2. I'm afraid if I put sickie #2 back into the main tank that he's going to disease the other fish.

I'm at a total loss.

Zenz

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
I just read a bit about fin rot and I guess it could be that since the edges can look clean like my fish look. I do find it odd though because I am very good (not religious) with my water changes and by that I mean I sometimes (two or three times in 4 months) go 9 days instead of 7 for a water change but never longer than that and testing shows good results.

I guess we'll see how they look in the morning.

Is 6 gallons too small for 3 fancy guppies to live indefinitely?

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
3 male guppies might do ok in a 6g, but I am concerned about the white spots in photo 2. Looks like ich to me...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store