Snails?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lexmarkz22

AC Members
Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
i just finished cleaning out my tank and i noticed 2 little snails i think. i never bought anything but 3 plants and 3 zebra barbs. how would they have gotten into my tank? also is there any way to stop one of the zebra barbs from chasing the others?

lexmarkz22

AC Members
Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
i've only seen 2 in the tank a medium size one and a real small one. i have some real small rocks that i was told to use to grow plants and both has disappeared under the rocks. and i don't think they are eating my plants because i had to trim alot of them because it was overgrowing the tank and blocking light from the rest of the lower plants.

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
the best bet would be to figure out what type they are if possible. the little ones like pond snails can multiply quite rapidly....

www.applesnail.net

they probably hitched in on the plants as was stated, that's how i got my first one. and from there they breed...... and breed.... and breed... :D

i still like 'em tho! :)

lexmarkz22

AC Members
Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
after looking in that site someone posted i think the type of snails i have are Melanoides granifera, i'm not sure though. the picture looked similiar and the bio of the snail seemed simialar. such as the snail living in the gravel. because i've only noticed them after cleaning the tank and today i no longer see them.

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Oh, if they're the kind you usually get with plants, you'll be overrun with them in about a month..... they do keep the algae off the glass, though. They replace it with eggs, which resemble, for lack of a better term, snot.

I like having them, personally. The fish will sometimes eat the little-bitty ones (assuming your fish can get them out of their houses....)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store