Pelvicachromis taeniatus "bipindi"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

johnpeezy

AC Members
Oct 11, 2008
Anyone have any experience breeding these little guys I have 4.

I have 2 males 2 females (sperate tanks), I got one to pair off and I am going to begin to slam the pH down to the floor. I just need some help figuring out how low they need to be to begin to spawn.

amazingly there nothing nothing like the "Molowie" variant in terms of breeding. Molowies will breed in 7.4 water, these guys won't.

Any ideas, or directions where to find ideas?

Jardini

Registered Member
Mar 8, 2009
Bipindi is located south of the Nyong River. I don't know what the natural pH is but I had them in a pH of 6.6-6.8.

I had a group of 2 males and 4 females. After a pair formed I started heavy feedings on frozen bloodworm, brine shrimp, and newly hatched brine shrimp. I got them to breed by riding the temperature to 30 degrees then did a cool water change, allowing it to go down to about 26 degrees, then bringing it back up to around 28. After this, I threw in some frozen blood worms, and checked back, and they were spawning.

johnpeezy

AC Members
Oct 11, 2008
Man Ted i hope my e-mail to you via your homepage wasn't what sparked your trip to Africa. But heck if it was thanks a million With the information you have given me it helped greatly, i hope I can wind up with a batch of fry. Cross your fingers for me and again thanks alot for the information. As you had said in your response to my E-mail via Teds fishroom I'm not even 100% sure these are the "Bipindi" variant, however thats what they were listed as when I ordered them so thats the water system I am going to try and simulate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store