Lighting for easy, hardy soft corals

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

105man

AC Members
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
In a 54 gallon corner tank with hardy mushrooms, polyps and leathers, here are the light bulbs I have, both 24 inches:

blue (slightly fatter bulb) Coralife Actinic 03 F20-T12-BP

white AllGlass Aquarium 20w

Id appreciate suggestions for improving the lighting but in a modest way. I would like to not throw off much more heat. Also, let me know if a special or different fixture or ballast is needed.

Thanks.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Without upgrading to either VHO or PC, there really isn't a way to increase the wattage. You'll want to look at the output--10,000K lights put out a different spectrum than the 5600K. I've seen both in the 24" NO lights--but they won't be the same as the VHO lights in the same numbers.

105man

AC Members
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
Thanks. What is the best way to improve without throwing off much more heat? What specifically would you reccomend for my setup?....would you replace one or both of the bulbs, and if so, with what?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Without changing ballasts, I would upgrade the white bulb to a 10,000K. The actinic light (likely the blue one) is a good choice, so I would keep that one. Keep in mind that the bulbs will need to be replaced about avery 8-9 months--they shift spectrum long before they quit.

If you can get a PC setup that includes fans, this would be the best bet for upping the lights without adding too much heat.

105man

AC Members
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
Oriongirl,

Thanks for the simple suggestion. I am not looking for a radical, ideal improvement...everything I have has done well, so I just want to make a modest, simple improvement, if possible, without changing the heat level in the tank, etc.

I wasn't aware that a 10,000k might be a good way to go. All I intend to keep are hardy, soft corals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store