What to do with a 47 gallon, 30" high tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Diann62

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I'm very undecided and need your help in choosing what to do with my 47 gallon tank, that's 30" high. I currently have a community tank but I'm very unhappy with it and want to change it. I initially thought I'd try salt water but I"m not sure the tank is big enough. Then I thought about an African Rift Lake Cichlid tank, but in reading, they get big. I also thought about a figure 8 puffer tank. I think the best fish for tall tanks are discus but I already have a discus tank. This tank is sitting in my living room in a perfect spot so I can't get a larger tank. Any suggestions as to what would be best suited? :help:

jamesstill84

Curiosity salted the snail!
Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
you could do a nice display with some jungle val that is easy to grow and gets as tall as you want it (if you don't trim, it can get 10 foot leaves if you want lol) and angels, with some smaller plant friendly cichlids like keyholes, rainbow cichlids or rams..
Rams are absolutely beautiful! That would be a great choice! Could also go with Apisto's.

Diann62

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I think for sure I'm going to start by making it a planted tank. Get rid of all that fake stuff. Once that's done, then I'll decide what type of fish to stock it with.

SilentMajority

I'm new here.
Feb 10, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I have nearly the same tank, I converted it from a reef tank to a freshwater planted tank. The only thing you have to keep in mind is the depth of it if you are going to plant a large variety of plants.

I have around 150 watts of PC lighting on top of my tank and still have trouble getting even some lower light plants to grow. I'd like to upgrade to metal halide lights some day to help penetrate all the water.

I agree though, italian and jungle vals look great in my tank, as does the crypt balansae that really reaches to the surface when it grows.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store