What have people done: DIY reef lighting?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
I am moving my reef from the 29 to a 40high. I may have a 150 watt clamp-on metal halide, but I am going to try it on there first and see how the temp goes before I buy it. Otherwise my next option is some no-name cheapo T5HO on ebay.

I want to know what kind of DIY lighting systems people have done. Thanks in advance.

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
I am not looking to spend over about $100. For just under that I can get that ebay fixture shipped, but if there is something about the same or better for about the same or less I would go with that.

Devilish

AC Members
Jun 8, 2007
Northeast NJ
Personally I think your 150w should be fine. I would worry about the heat factor. I have a 37 gal with a 400w MH and heat is a factor during the summer which is easily taken care of with a oscillating fan. The 150 would probably be better than most T5s you look at. Depending on the color temp of the MH you may want to accompany it with a some actinics.

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
I hope the halide works out, but if it adds too much heat I will have to switch to something else and just want to get my options on the table now.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Here is my DIY Canopy/Light for my 75G tank.

4 T5HO UV Actinics w/ Icecap660 Ballast + 250w XM10k MH w/ PFO HQI Ballast

DIY Moonlights 12x 3mm LEDs
(sorry for the hijack)
Nice... but 12 moon lights??? How bright does it get? I got 2 led moon lights over my 90 G and it already almost looks too bright...

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Here is what it looks like. I had to adjust the picture to make it look "real" because my camera kept adjusting the lighting making it look brighter than it actually is. They are also 3mm LEDs, not the normal 5mm LEDs, and mounted 15" above the tank. They look "perfect" if you ask me.. not to bright at all. I had a 3x 5mm LED moonlight before I put this one on and it was no were near bright enough.

You don't get the "shimmer effect" from the pictures nor do you see the fluorescent glow of certain corals, but you get the idea.

And here is what the moonlights look like before I installed them in the canopy.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I did a basic 4x65w CF setup over my reef, I built the canopy and used AH Supply setups. Its been ok for now, but I'm looking to upgrade to 4xT5HO with individual reflectors now, since I can use the same ballasts to save some money.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store