How to grow Aquarium plants out of water?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa
What would I have to do to grow aquarium plants out of water?
I want to try and grow some of the plants I have in a pot.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
A lot about that would depend on what kind of plant you're doing this with. I wouldn't want to venture any general advice without a better idea what you're working with.

To go either way from submersed to emersed, or vice versa, expect the current foliage to die off and be replaced with all new shoots that can grow in the altered environment. The root system will transition from totally saturated conditions, to just soggy or moist soil, too. Expect more die-back and new growth under there too. Keep everything real humid at first. A desktop sized greenhouse, of sorts. I'm not sure. Depends a lot on what type of plant this is.

Also.. where are you trying to get this plant to live? On a table.. in a terrarium?

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
Erhm. I think they're called aquatic plants for a reason? :]]
You would have to re-create bog-like situations for the plants to grow in.
Trial and error, I'd say. Try keeping them really wet, try keeping them normal, see how they turn out.

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa
A lot about that would depend on what kind of plant you're doing this with. I wouldn't want to venture any general advice without a better idea what you're working with.

To go either way from submersed to emersed, or vice versa, expect the current foliage to die off and be replaced with all new shoots that can grow in the altered environment. The root system will transition from totally saturated conditions, to just soggy or moist soil, too. Expect more die-back and new growth under there too. Keep everything real humid at first. A desktop sized greenhouse, of sorts. I'm not sure. Depends a lot on what type of plant this is.

Also.. where are you trying to get this plant to live? On a table.. in a terrarium?
Here's some of the plants I have:

Amazon Sword/Narrow leaf
Hygrophila polysperma Rosanervig
Echinodorus vesuvius
Tonina belem
Riccia
Hygrophila Porto Vehlo
Blyxa japonica
Limnophila sessiliflora
wendtii Bronze
Wisteria

I know this can't be done with all of them, but it's what I got to work with.
I would like to grow them on a table or outside.

ZachAttck

AC Members
Dec 13, 2008
Not sure how, but I'm 100% sure Amazon Sword can be grown emersed. The plant that I put into my aquarium slowly shed all of its leaves as it grew new, more slender and totally different looking ones, meaning that the previous leaves were probably from its emersed form.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
My Firebellied toad's paludarium:

So far, I've gotten Moneywort, java moss, anubias, pennywort, and crypts to succesfully grow emersed in a humid environment. The pennywort grows like a ground vine and crawls up the sides, the moneywort grows tall and straight, and the java moss stays low to the ground with a bright green color that looks almost like a terrestrial moss.

Ezekielz

AC Members
Dec 8, 2008
So Cal
My Firebellied toad's paludarium:

So far, I've gotten Moneywort, java moss, anubias, pennywort, and crypts to succesfully grow emersed in a humid environment. The pennywort grows like a ground vine and crawls up the sides, the moneywort grows tall and straight, and the java moss stays low to the ground with a bright green color that looks almost like a terrestrial moss.

This is so beautiful! Makes me want to set up one! What size tank is it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store