Snail Damage?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
I just got my snails back a few days ago. My friends were watching over my inverts while I was out of town. I finally got a chance to carefully look them over. To my horror Brooklyn, my jade brig, seems to have suffered a shell fracture at some point. Is it indeed a shell fracture? It looks like it's on the mend, am I right?

Brooklyn remains active and is eating so it looks like he'll be okay. Hopefully this is just aesthetic?

Is there any way to tell how long ago the damage occurred?

DSCN1791.JPG

DSCN1797.JPG

DSCN1791.JPG DSCN1797.JPG

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
If by shell fracture, you're referring to the line with white edge at the first pic, I have one dark striped green with that as he pushed a rock before while trying to get to the cucumber slice and the shell was really thin at that time but he is totally fine. It's just aesthetic. I can't tell how long this one is, possibly a week.

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
aesthetic is fine by me, I'll love em no matter how ugly they get lol. Long as they're safe and healthy.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
are you talking about the white "line" or the "v" shape near the leading edge? Neither are fractures. The white line looks more like a growth ring, teh v is either a fissure, or a mating defect. Looks like a healthy snail to me!

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
Oh, sorry I was talking about the V on the leading edge. Will the fissure or mating defect lead problems in the long run?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Nope, just your little one is all grown up. Almost all my breeders have things like this. The "v" is healing over and will just become a "bump" in the growth.

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
dang, and here I never got any candles or snail cake for him. I'll make him some snail jello with honey tomorrow :p

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
much to my relief, the deformity is pretty much fully mended now :D

DSCN1826.JPG
DSCN1833.JPG

Apologies for the awkward angle. I was actually trying to photograph what I suspect is the penis sheath nearly hidden under the now-healed over v, and I was afraid picking him up would startle him right back into his shell.That's when I noticed how much growth has occurred in just 3 days :) I was originally gonna use these pics to ask for a confirmation of his gender but I thought it could serve both purposes.

Is Brooklyn a male?

DSCN1826.JPG DSCN1833.JPG

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
looks like your moss cave is growing in nicely!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store