Max Tang stocking frustration

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
I finally checked out the local cichlid breeder and left empty handed; very dodgy looking outfit. I was seeking a purchase of ~7 cyprichromis for my 90 gallon tall Lake Tang setup. I've given up on that idea now, as I can't find a reliable source. Instead, I have an alternate solution but want some feedback before buying from DrFosterSmith.

First, for those who don't remember the tank specs:

LakeTang_Dec15.JPG

pH = 8.2 (aragonite substrate)
KH = 8
GH = 16
Temp: 78 F
24/7 airstone

~60% water change once weekly (Epsom salt addition with each water change to preserve GH/KH and TDS parameters to compensate for such large water volume)

Stock = 3 young Gold head comps all thriving and slowly growing + 1 mature Cuvier's (senegalus) bichir who has been with the family for nearly a decade. The bichir leaves the comps alone but he has been known to take swipes at smaller fish which is why this tank was setup in the first place (bending the biotope just a bit to accomodate him)

I'm now thinking of adding 2-3 frontosas from DFS.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+831+841&pcatid=841

They are being sold large enough that the bichir will not make a meal of them (3-4 inches). However, I feel like I might push the stocking limits of the tank if I purchase 3 given their adult size grown. Would a single pair work? No plans for breeding. Thanks pitt, pappy and others for your inevitable reply and advice :D

LakeTang_Dec15.JPG

Last edited:

dog_gone07

Feesh
Jan 2, 2009
CT, USA
Unfortunately, I'm way too much of a newb to answer your questions, but I just had to say that your tank is gorgeous! Off topic, but what are the white spots on the rocks?

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
Unfortunately, I'm way too much of a newb to answer your questions, but I just had to say that your tank is gorgeous! Off topic, but what are the white spots on the rocks?
Thanks dog for the kind words. Those stones are actually a 'snowflake' obsidian. The spots are deposits of crystal embedded into the black obsidian which can be found in the area of that African Lake (Tanganyika). That entire area has a huge history of volcanism.

dog_gone07

Feesh
Jan 2, 2009
CT, USA
Very cool... I love this forum I learn a million new things everyday! Thanks :)

rogersb

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
I was interested in them for awhile and did a lot of research on sites specifically geared toward fronts, and the rule of thumb with them is a 6ft minimum. There are exceptions and I do believe the most common exception is a 5x2x2. A 4ft tank just does not have the space requirements for the fish long term. I'd say fine if you have a place for them to go in 6-8 months. Otherwise possibly a single tret. They look nice and when kept single they can be kept in a community type tang tank.

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
I was interested in them for awhile and did a lot of research on sites specifically geared toward fronts, and the rule of thumb with them is a 6ft minimum. There are exceptions and I do believe the most common exception is a 5x2x2. A 4ft tank just does not have the space requirements for the fish long term. I'd say fine if you have a place for them to go in 6-8 months. Otherwise possibly a single tret. They look nice and when kept single they can be kept in a community type tang tank.
Thanks for the feedback rogers. This is meant for a permanent home, and I suspected the 90 tall wouldn't get the job done; basically just verifying my own suspicion. if its even marginal, I wouldn't pull the trigger as the health of the specimen long-term is simply too important. Still, I thought our resident African experts could weigh in. Looks like its back to the drawing board.... those synos are looking better and better.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
I can get you the fish.. have 2 orchid bule cyps and kitatumba orange tail available as well as the rainbow tropheus (3kinds) and the all three kinds of duboisi

Though they may become bichir food

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I will have to agree with roger i love my trets man and would be of an interesting setup as for the fronts they really need company in terms of a colony setting at least 5 to feel comfortable..

Also if you were willing to pay that shipping price from dr fosters eddie at bluegrassaquatics.com has some nice bulu cyps for sale or he did have them and is always getting something in new at times..

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
I agree completely. I think you'd like the look of the Tret, though I also agree that they seem to do best in singles in a community tank. I have had to remove males because they are just too aggressive toward conspecifics, including Sexfasciatus twice their size. One Tret would virtually ignore your Comps, though, and would make a nice addition, as would the Sexfasciatus, which would grow to a bit larger size and is sometimes available in the blueish coloration most often seen in Trets.
The Cyps would look awesome and you'll be required to post pics when you get them!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store