goldfish and ick

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Peanutsweet

AC Members
Feb 20, 2006
I just got two fan tail goldfish last week. Both are broke out with ick. I have raised the temp to 80 F and added about 4 tbs of non iodized salt. They are in a 29 gal tank. After a couple days they are worse. Went from a few spots to being covered. They are still eating, but not swimming much. Just sit at the bottom.
Also I have been changing about 1/3 of the water every other day and replacing salt with that.

So am I not using enough salt? Too low temp?
I am afraid to raise temp too much for goldfish. I also added an air stone.
I am thinking about removing my apple snail, changing out all of water and using Quick Cure. ? I can't use the salt and the quick cure together can I?
I know it will harm my snail, so I will move him. I have cured ick before using salt and higher temp, but this is really bad. :(

The two fish are the only ones in the tank. they are about 1 1/2 inches long. Oh, I do not currently have any carbon in my filter.

My only other option is that it isn't ick.
It started out as a few spots which looked exactly like a grain of salt on the fish. Then it multiplied to LOTS of spots all over and mostly covering the tail. occasionally one will 'flick' on an object in the tank. Mostly just sit at the bottom. Their fins look ok, not ragged or bloody. coloring is bright, and eating and pooping look normal...
anyone have ideas, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Peanut, I think your issue is that you are using too little salt.

It's excellent that you've raised the temperature and increased aeration, but by raising the temp you are speeding up the ich parasite life cycle. Without enough salt to kill off the parasites, you're just making the fish miserable! So it's important to increase the salt concentration. But rather than dumping it all in at once, you need to go slowly to prevent your fish going into shock.

The problem is that you said you've been changing the water and adding more salt over a "couple days". So we can't be sure exactly what concentration is in the tank water right now.

I recommend you use an old trick to change as much water as possible. Do a 75% water change, as you normally would, with dechlorinator. Then immediately do another 50% water change, with dechlorinator. Remember to match the temperature of the new water to the old! Doubling up like this will remove as much salt as we can to get a fresh start.

Now begin adding the salt back in. Start with one teaspoon of salt per gallon - so in your case, 29 teaspoons. That's equivalent to half a cup, plus 5 teaspoons.
After 12 hours, add another half cup plus 5 teaspoons.
After another 12 hours, add another half cup plus 5 teaspoons.

By this time the salt concentration will be at the right level. You should start to see an improvement within 48 hours. Keep the heat up at 80 degrees and keep the aeration going. Don't do a water change for 3 days after the final dose.

Best of luck, and keep us updated!

Peanutsweet

AC Members
Feb 20, 2006
wow that sounds like SO much salt
well that will cure or be a faster way to go huh?
ok I will try it.
But I will need to remove the snail right?

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
It does sound like a lot of salt, but think of it this way. It takes about 24 teaspoons per gallon to get to a 3% salt solution, which is full seawater strength. So you're not making the water as salty as it seems.
You will definitely need to remove the snail. Snails can handle minor amounts of salt in the water, but not enough for ich treatment.
This is the equivalent of what API recommends on their salt cartons, actually. Now that I'm checking the box, it says to add "1 rounded tablespoon per 5 gallons." Since three teaspoons are in 1 tablespoon, a "rounded" tablespoon would probably be about 5 teaspoons. So we're at about one teaspoon per gallon.
If you're worried about the level of salt, start at one teaspoon per gallon and check their reaction. If the fish are doing well, proceed with the second treatment. If you don't see any improvement, go with the third. Just be sure you have excellent aeration and the fish are still feeding.

Peanutsweet

AC Members
Feb 20, 2006
I removed the snail. Added the salt, so far the fish are acting no different really, except that I changed the bubble wand to a finer mist of bubbles instead of big gurgly ones. One of the fish is really liking the bubbles, playing in them.
so we shall see.
thank you so much.

Peanutsweet

AC Members
Feb 20, 2006
Fish are just sitting around today too, but they ick doesn't look as bad.
I will add the second dose later today. I am excited, it seems to be working.
thank you alot!

Peanutsweet

AC Members
Feb 20, 2006
Yesterday I put in my third dose of salt. They look better I think than when I started, but they still have quite a few spots. Lots actually, I have the temp at 80F is that warm enough?
How long will it take for the spots to go away?
They are much more active now though, don't sit on the bottom as much. One of them I noticed likes playing in the bubbles, but I am starting to think she is using it to scratch herself?

JenniferLynn

AC Members
Dec 4, 2008
Page, AZ
I have a bubble wand and all 3 of my fantails swim along it in the bubbles all the time. No health problems or scratching on anything else. I think they like the way it feels so I wouldn't worry about that you just might have one that likes it. Hope that you get your fish feeling better soon.

Peanutsweet

AC Members
Feb 20, 2006
Ok great, well she just seemed fascinated with it as soon as I put it in. But then I thought maybe she liked the way it felt on her 'rash'
Maybe she came from a tank originally that had one similar to it. Before I put it in, she just sat at the bottom alot. Kinda like playing music while you clean house lol

still lots of spots though :( doesn't seem like much progress yet...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store