Need GSP Advice (First GSP)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slice

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
I just got a Green spotted puffer last week on doing alot of work on doing my research first even though some of it is sketchy-_-. I have him in a 10 gallon tank till I resurrect my 30 gallon tank out of the basement and put him in there. I did read one of the articles on brackish water that helped alot. I want to slowly transition my GSP from fresh water to brakish water. I also have a pleco in my tank also but I'm going to send him to my cousins nice and comfy tank. Ok enough of my talk here's my questions.

What kind of snails are good to feed my GSP(named him Darwin)?

Does anyone have any advice on how to transition him to brackish water?

Besides snails is there any other food I can feed to my GSP(I feed him blood worms for now)?

By the way he's 2-3 inches in length so far :)

Thnk you in advance :)

Mokomon

You can call me Sharon :)
Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
Up your salinity by no more than .002/week
You need 2 tsp Ocean salt per gal water to get .002

I feed my puffers freeze dried shrimp, bloodworms, grocery store clams, mussels, and shrimp with the shell on, and crickets :)

Mokomon

You can call me Sharon :)
Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
I forgot to add that you want to get to approx 1.010-1.015 SG

Good luck!

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
actually, gsp can go full marine as adults quite nicely. i have one ive had for several months now. you will need a hydrometer and marine salt. you need to raise the sg slowly, only .002 sg a week. or else the beneficial bacteria in your filtration will constantly be dying off and you will be forever cycling your tank. a great place for good information is thepufferforum.com. its where i got my info.

i will warn you, your puffer may seem a bit itchy and cranky (gray bellied) initially, but as the salt continues to rise, it will start to love it whenever you raise the amount of salt

slice

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
thanks for the advice I should start introducing brackish water slowly this weekend when my cousin comes down to pick up my pleco cause I doubt he'll survive in brackish water

FishApprentice

AC Members
Feb 27, 2008
What kind of snails are good to feed my GSP(named him Darwin)?
Go for Pond Snails. I have lots of MTS but my little guy has a hard time with 'em. I'm not familiar with Ramshorn, but I hear they are good too. From what I have read, you can give 'em snails about the size of their eye.

slice

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
Go for Pond Snails. I have lots of MTS but my little guy has a hard time with 'em. I'm not familiar with Ramshorn, but I hear they are good too. From what I have read, you can give 'em snails about the size of their eye.
yeah I read that too but its kinda hard to get snails the size of there eye not unless I breed the snails myself and I'm kind of limited on room to have a snail farm.

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
You can always go to your local fish store and ask the people there to take some of the snails from their tanks (they're considered pests and usually they're nice enough to give them away for free).

FishApprentice

AC Members
Feb 27, 2008
yeah I read that too but its kinda hard to get snails the size of there eye not unless I breed the snails myself and I'm kind of limited on room to have a snail farm.
They really don't need much to breed. I had a 1 gallon tank, a clump of java moss and an air stone and I threw an algae wafer in every few days. They bred like MANIACS. I eventually tossed them all out, but this was before I needed them. I just kept them for months without even changing their water (only topping it off when it evaporated) and they still kept going. As long as they have food, they will breed.

slice

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
lol I'll try breeding them and see how that goes. My cousin is getting rid of his 5 gallon breeding tank that he uses to quarantine the pregnant fish so might just grab the 5 gallon tank off him and use it for the snails

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store