FS Amazon Frogbit ** Beautiful Floating Plants **

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Several of you have ordered Frogbit from me through my Giant Duckweed and Mossy Mosses plant sale threads. If anyone else is interested in gettiing some, here you go...

Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum) for sale

I'm offering a big cup full of hardy, established Amazon Frogbit plants for $6.50 -- get two full cups for $13.00.

If you have an open-top tank, this would be a fabulous accent plant floating on the surface. Easy to grow, Frogbit helps reduce persistent algae growth by absorbing excess nitrogen from the water. It provides an excellent cover for fry.. baby guppies, platys, and minnows (as well as your snails). The one-cup portion size is a perfect start for 10-20 gallon tanks. For larger tanks, order a single cup full (just let it grow in)... or increase the amount as much as you like. (I won't mind, I'll just grow more.)

You'll see in the attached images how nice this looks with Duckweed floating in between. Let me know if you want some Duckweed mixed in with yours... if not, I'll check every Frogbit plant carefully and remove the little Duckweeds before this gets packaged for you. Either way is fine with me.

I've attached actual photos of the Frogbit you'll receive. You can see how nice the plants look, and some of my goldfish peeking up at me. (They're not saying hello - they just want food.)

Shipping will be USPS Priority Mail for $6.00. USA only. (This includes a tracking number and delivery confirmation.) Please add $2.00 for a heat pack if it's still really cold where you live.

:goldfish:

fb1.jpg fb2.jpg fb3.jpg fb4.jpg fb5.jpg fb6.jpg fb7.jpg

Last edited:

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
too bad I'm in CA and it's illegal here

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
Is this a low light plant?
do you have anything else that would take care of a touch of greenish algae in the 55GL FW tank?
I have a low light set up

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Is this a low light plant?
do you have anything else that would take care of a touch of greenish algae in the 55GL FW tank?
I have a low light set up
Yes, low light is fine. Most of the duckweed and frogbit I've grown was under standard bulbs that come with fish tanks. I started them in 10 and 40 gallon holding tanks with just regular/low lighting. Now it's in my 110 gallon tank too under brighter lighting. They do well just about anywhere. These plants float at the surface so the light they get is very close to the source, compared to what a low light plant would get under 24 inches of water.

But for your algae problem, start off first by wiping as much of it off as possible. And do a water change to get what you can out of the water. That gets rid of as much of the excess as you can before adding plants that will compete with it for nutrients.

I have a large amount of Hornwort available that does well in low light, grows fast, and absorbs nutrients that will help starve out the algae. (Would sell that for $2 a bunch.) So less and less of the algae will come back after you've wiped off what's visible on the glass and hardscape. It grows well under low light conditions... under bright light, it'll grow really fast.

Horwort is very pretty, long feathery strands. It's rootless.. so it's usually kept as a floating plant. But if you plant the stems and anchor it down, it'll form a rhizome that holds it together in a clump. It's a fast-growing filler plant. The more it grows, the more it depletes nutrients. Easy to pull out and discard if it gets to be too much. Keep a little of it floating around and you can let it grow more or cut it back real easy.

You'll need to be careful with this at first, though. When you add it to your tank, it usually sheds a lot. If that happens, swish your fish net through the water in a figure-8 pattern to collect all the leaves/needles/whatever those are called. That just takes a few minutes and throw those away so they don't decompose. The remaining plant will bush out again quickly and then it will be acclimated to the conditions of your tank. Generally doesn't shed anymore after that unless you handle it roughly. The other thing is... if you let it overgrow too much, of course, there won't be enough fish waste and nutrients to support it. So it can starve itself out and start shedding again. So just watch it and don't be afraid to discard the excess. It'll grow back again and again.

I'll get some photos of the Horwort to post for you. So you can see how it looks.

Last edited:

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Here are those Hornwort pics... for my Frogbit thread. LOL.

14-01-09_0945.jpg 14-01-09_0947.jpg

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
too bad I'm in CA and it's illegal here
We're lucky in Nevada. Nothing grows here naturally except tumbleweeds (and neon lights).

Let me know if anyone wants one! I can offer real low pricing on those. ;)

tumbleweed.jpg

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
** Almost gone - 2 full cups remain **

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
He probably didn't know back then. They also can't be shipped to Maine (invasive) or Vermont (noxious weed). Washington won't allow European Frogbit... so I consider them doubtful. This would be much easier if the bans were national.. all or nothing. But that wouldn't work, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store