Pairing clowns

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
I had a pair of oscellaris clowns that were both the same size. The female died when my tank got hit by a plague and now the male is one of the lone survivors that made it. He is about an inch-inch 1/2 long or so. My question is, if I want to find him a new mate, do I get one that is smaller, same size or bigger?

tsdpurdue

tsdpurdue
Feb 25, 2007
Indiana
If you get one that is the same size, one will eventually grow bigger and become the female. If you get one that is smaller than the one that you have should become the female. Finally the last option you have, is to get a group of them and let them determine it for themselves ( I would try one of the 1st two options). It takes quite a while for them to establish a pair. Also the best way to get them to pair up is to have them in the tank by themseleves, or at least it cannot be stresful or they may never pair up. Hoipe this helps!!! :)

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Ok cool, so smaller or the same size. Gotcha. He used to be so brightly colored before his mate died...he turned dark after...maybe he got depressed. Doesn't seem like his color is changing back at all. Maybe with a new mate, he will lighten up. = )

tsdpurdue

tsdpurdue
Feb 25, 2007
Indiana
Mine got darker too after my female died :( I had waited almost 6 months for them to pair up and they were getting really close to actually mating ( sharing a sleeping spot, went everywhere together) before I found the female dead one morning :(

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
I had the same situation...they always swam together and rubbed against each other at night. The male actually protected his mate against a couple damsels I had once that were pestering the female. When she came down with disease though, he steered clear of her as to not catch it I guess. Well at least we share the same experience and I hope that I can find a new mate for mine like you did. My female died 4 months ago by the way.

tsdpurdue

tsdpurdue
Feb 25, 2007
Indiana
Well good luck to you. Actually since the clownfish has been by its self for a while ( no other clown) i would recomend getting a smaller one if possible. i know that if a clown is left alone for quite a while they will end up becoming the female. I think it tkaes longer than 4 months but i think everyone is different. Once the clown turns into female it can not change back. So if you would get a smaller one that would increase your chances of success. But either way should still work :) Good luck too you!!!!!

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
No problem with that...they had many bright little baby clowns at my LFS yesterday. Thanks a lot!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store