1 day = 1 dead snail

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

frazin78

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
Well I thought I would try 2 nassarius snails to see how they would fair in my tank.... with the porcupine puffer that is... Well first night one moved without any problems without getting picked on... I was feeding puffer in the opposite corner distracting him...

The other guy just seemed to sit there and move around some sand but that was it... later on that night he moved 1/2 away across the sand... next morning he was on my LR... the by lunch he was upside down with no sign of life.... and he wasn't picked on as no chunks of him where missing he just seemed curled up in his shell. The puffer doesn't even go near him and there is no shell damage at all. I flipped him around to see if there is any life and still nothing.

Did I just buy a bad snail? I thought snails where pretty hardy...

The other snail has been in the tank for 2 days now... and he is moving along quite well... not as fast as the first day... but none the less he is alive...

Jc

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Although I haven't had much of a problem, others report that acclimation can make a big difference for snails. HOw did you acclimate it to the tank?

It could be bad livestock. How did they look in the shop?

widdledink

Graphic Design sluth
Sep 23, 2003
Chattanooga, TN
I have had a big problem with snails in my tank. Infact I only have one Mexican Turbo in the tank right now.

Anyways I too had the same problem. I bought a bunch of turbos and put them in the tank. About a day or so later they were either moving slowly or dead. I did a test for Nitrate - N03 - and found that it was off the scale. snails have a low tollerance to high levels of N03.

Thus I ask you what are your water perameters?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store