Feeding question? How much/how often?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lynsey

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Here is the deal. I have an Oscar and a BP in a tank with a few danios and plecos. I have had my Oscar and BP for about a year. They were both babies when I got them. Now my Oscar is about 8" (not including the tail) and my BP is about 4". I feed them a very good diet of many things (no feeders). Anyway, I feed them twice a day (I heard that is good when they are growing). But now that they are bigger, how often should I feed them. I would like to keep my water quality as pristine as possible. I do weekly water changes, sometimes bi-weekly. Is it ok to feed only once a day, with an occasional treat (can't resist my Oscars begging all the time :) )? Is it best to give the fish a day of fasting? or should they be fed everyday?

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
I feed my oscars once a day (except the breeding pair to keep them in good condition) and I skip one day a week to let them fast, I don't know how it helps but it seems like it does

MoJo

AC Members
Sep 2, 1998
Dallas, PA
www.aquamojo.com
I feed adult fish once a day...juveniles twice. Adult fish get three days of protein (Krill, Scallops, shrimp, white fish) and the other days pellet, worms, vegetables. Juveniles get more brine shrimp and glass worms. Fry get Cyclopese, baby brine, and fry pellet.

Lynsey

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Thanks Mojo. I feed my fish a mixture that I make: beefheart, whitefish, shrimp, spinach, peas, and gelatin to hold it all together. I also feed cichlid gold pellets, krill and bloodworms. I feed them a mix of this stuff twice a day. I think that I will cut back to once a day, with the occasional treat thrown in. I think that will help cut back on the mess in my tank.

Obviously once a day is Ok, because all of your fish are amazing Mojo.

Lynsey

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Thanks Mojo. I feed my fish a mixture that I make: beefheart, whitefish, shrimp, spinach, peas, and gelatin to hold it all together. I also feed cichlid gold pellets, krill and bloodworms. I feed them a mix of this stuff twice a day. I think that I will cut back to once a day, with the occasional treat thrown in. I think that will help cut back on the mess in my tank.

Obviously once a day is Ok, because all of your fish are amazing Mojo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store