1 HR from now...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
1 HR from now, I will embark on a journey to possibly pick up my first Discus.

But I need help! Need to know what people are paying for 1-4" healthy Discus.

How to tell if they are indeed healthy?
Which strains are valued more, and which are less?
What are some things to stay away from? And how to tell those things apart(pictures would help greatly here).

And anything else that you think might be helpful.

I have one HR from now to read this thread, and then I'm off!

Thanks everyone for your help!

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
Where are you going?, I didn't have much luck with the LFS.
I would get it from the guys here or a rep breeder.

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
How big is your tank?, Don't just get one, 1 to 2" are tough to look after, keep that in mind.

yourchoice

AC Members
Aug 6, 2006
Toronto
LSS leopard snake skins are popular and more expesive but may be weaker.Stay away from fish with black spots.Rounder fish better,From the mouth upwards look for no bumps same with from the mouth downwards look for roundness/.I like to go back a second time tho before buying..The fish that come to the front of the tank and look at you I feel are the smarter fish.

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
there are a lot of variables in the pricing of the Discus.. part of it is demand for certain colors.
the more expensive ones on average tend to be wilds.

some patterns are less in demand and will be a lower price. but they will still be nice fish.

i decided to go with a local breeders 'cobalt reds' as they were tough and inexpensive (4-$50) and were offspring of a pair that matched up in his growout.

I have been very happy with them as they are brilliant in color even tho the red color never really matured.(they are only about 4ys old)
larger fish seem to be easier to raise but younger fish tend to transport better.
your call there.

if going to a breeder.. ask many questions.

they know their fish very well and many are reliable and will give you the low down.

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
LSS leopard snake skins are popular and more expesive but may be weaker.Stay away from fish with black spots.Rounder fish better,From the mouth upwards look for no bumps same with from the mouth downwards look for roundness/.I like to go back a second time tho before buying..The fish that come to the front of the tank and look at you I feel are the smarter fish.

Thank you very much! This is the kind of info I'm looking for!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store