Mixing salt

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I usually recommend waiting for 24 hours. This allows for good aeration, as well as to allow any presence of extra caustic compounds, etc. to react and drop out of solution (as opposed to irritating your animals).

mr_angryeyes

Don't fear the Reefer
Jul 8, 2007
Parma,OH
I would drop a powerhead in your bucket or container along with a heater. the power head will mix and aerate.the heater should be @ your tank temp.Keep in mind the reading on your hydrometer will change with difference of water temp.plus you dont want to shock any livestock with cold water.

ryanTEXAS

AC Members
Dec 5, 2008
quick question. i use instant ocean brand salt and my friend gave me the rest of his bag of kent marine salt. is it fine to throw the kent marine salt into my bucket of instant ocean brand salt?

wellsm2

AC Members
May 9, 2006
Central Virginia
I have mixed Tropic Marin Pro Reef and Reef Crystals on occasion with no problems. It's not something you want to do all the time, but every once in a while is fine.

jayghmi

Senior Member Wannabe
Feb 3, 2007
Western Michigan
my hydrometer keeps changing when I fill it with water!

They need to be rinsed our after every test. My cheap plastic one works great but it will keep increasing the readings if not rinsed after every single test.

snappyguy

Keeper of the fish
Jan 12, 2009
Houston TX
Definitely wait at least 24 hours and use a powerhead and heater. Also, if you can find a refractometer for salt water that'd be good too. They're easier to keep clean than regular hygrometers so don't have the problem of increasing numbers with increasing tests.

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
mr_angryeyes; Has it. Get a powerhead and a heater and toss them in.

The very best way is to use a standpipe and a large air stone but that's a bit of a pain. -> You place the standpipe vertically in the middle of the container. The top should remain a few inches below the surface. The air stone goes at the bottom of the standpipe which is also off the bottom. When you pour the air to the air stone it generates a large area of low density water that rushes to float to the surface. This generates a large flow up the standpipe with a huge gas liquid interface. This interface allows the dissolved gas balance to be whatever the water temperature wants it to be and not what only the container's surface area will allow.

That is how large batches for aquaculture do it but for us aquarists the heater and power heads are enough. I usually us a 32gal garbage can. I toss a large power head in the bottom and a small one I clip to the top. I use the air inductor on the little one to foam as much of the water as it can. Often I have to put some plastic in a strategic location to combat the spritzies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store