(brigs) Which Parent Carries the Dominant Color Trait?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
Ok i don't even know if im phrasing the question correctly, but i am very curious as to which parent carries the dominant color trait, the male or female? For example, if a a blue male mated with a golden female, and the golden laid a clutch, what colors would most of the babies be? would almost all be blue, almost all be yellow, or is it just a toss-up?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
It depends which color is dominant and which is recessive. My friend who gave me some egg clutches assumed an ivory and a magenta mated and one egg clutch yielded more magentas and dark striped greens (wilds) than ivory.

Very interesting question and a good one at that. I was never good at genetics but here's a reference. See Donya's post. You'll have to make the information seep through your mind or you'll never get it.:D
http://www.applesnail.net/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16470

Last edited:

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
wow, that was a very interesting read, it pretty much answered all of my questions about that. very mentally stimulating as well. well for me at least. lol
thank you :D

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
LMAO! I never expected you to say it is mentally stimulating but it does encourage me to dig deeper into genetic study again. Last time I had biology lessons involving genetics, my head almost exploded from studying too much about genetics.:screwy:

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
LOL
genetics has always interested me
but my head almost exploded in physical science because they actually expected me to get down all the formulas and that chart thing with abreviations....yeah, not good lol

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
but im going to school to become a vet specializing in aquatic life so i'd better get used to it...and fast
lol

Bettacreek

AC Members
Apr 2, 2008
Central Pennsylvania
The non-wild mutations that are actually dominant over wild mutations have always blown my mind, especially when it's some really wild one that would have never helped them survive in the wild.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store