my new 55 gallon-er! and questions too

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

swimmer24

AC Members
Jan 8, 2009
Norcal/Boston
Hey sorry i dont have any pictures, my camera has died.

But we just got a new 55g tank, and its currently cycling (since Monday).
I am so excited though! It looks awesome, and once everything falls into place I think it will be a great aquarium.

I have a couple of questions, but most of them have been answered already.

Okay, number one. I've heard of people having bettas in with their tropical fish. Would that be okay in a tank this size, assuming there are enough hiding spaces? Just wondering.

Number two. It's kinda dumb, but we bought the Top Fin (the petsmart brand) kit. I've got some equipment to supplement it, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to connect the heater. I feel REALLY dumb. It has suction cups that clip on, but it can stick to the glass unless the top goes underwater, below the "water level" line, because there is a plastic rim that goes all around the inside. So should I just invest in another heater? Or is there some other solution I've completely looked over? My whole family has been teasing me for not figuring this out.

Number three! I know I need to start slow, and make sure my water parameters are all okay and such, but what are your favorite fish to start with? My family loves neon tetras, and I love guppies, but I was thinking we should start with tiger barbs or danios. Is that a good idea?

Thanks so much!! :)

Egress

AC Members
Jan 17, 2006
California, USA
but it can(sic) stick to the glass unless the top goes underwater
I don't know these kits well. Is there anything to indicate this is a submersible heater? If so, it's fine to place it in the aquarium fully submerged. This may be a surprise if you used to be in the hobby some time ago. My father got out of the hobby before submersible heaters came around, so when he picked up an aquarium with a Stealth heater, he too was trying to mount it with its top 2 inches sticking out of the tank. Anyhoo, if it is not submersible, perhaps the idea is to mount it at an angle - head above water, but not over the rim.

Temeraire

Betta Owner
Jan 6, 2009
I got the impression he was looking to do a fish-in cycle, but I could be wrong. If I wasn't though, here is a link to a guide on how to cycle without fish: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84598 .

What fish you start with should be based off of which fish you want to have in your final tank. It is a really good idea to get that worked out before you add anything. "Hardier" fish should then be added first, followed by the more delicate and territorial fish.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would get a more reliable heater than what comes with those particular kits.

swimmer24

AC Members
Jan 8, 2009
Norcal/Boston
Thanks so much! I've been doing fishless cycling, I was just really looking forward to when my waters all right.
Last time I had a tropical tank was about ten years ago, so I'll make sure to see if its a submersible heater.
And also, Termeraire, I'm a girl. :)

Kevin S.

Barb Wired
Jan 3, 2009
Derry, NH
I just got the same kit and its definitely submersible. However at the max all I can get is 77 degrees out of it in the 55 so if your looking for higher temp fish youll need to augment it.

Temeraire

Betta Owner
Jan 6, 2009
Thanks so much! I've been doing fishless cycling, I was just really looking forward to when my waters all right.
Last time I had a tropical tank was about ten years ago, so I'll make sure to see if its a submersible heater.
And also, Termeraire, I'm a girl. :)
When a name is androgynous I find it easier to just assume male rather than go looking for a gender. :evil_lol:

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
even if the outside box says it is not. I found out that they aren't 'allowed' to sell submersible heaters here, so the outside packaging has a warning about waterlines and such, but then on the inside packaging there is a pic with the heater horizontal underwater. Interesting, eh?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store