My poor Max is pineconed :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
I noticed my betta Max didn't come out for dinner last night but thought nothing of it. I just saw him this morning and he is just barely pineconed, I really didn't notice at first. He is not eating and just kinda swimming on the bottom of the tank. He is the only fish in the tank. Is there a way to treat him?

ksane

aka TwistedPenguin
Mar 1, 2008
Oklahoma, USA
I feel for you. There's nothing I know of that you can do, it's called "dropsy" and it's a symptom not a disease in itself. I keep my male Bettas in 10 g tanks with Cardinals for tankmates & nitrates never over 10 ppm. Every Betta I've lost has swollen up like that and died a few days later. I think they're just overbred and not cared for properly before we get them. It's hard to lose the little guys, they're one of my favorite kind of fish because of their outgoing personalities.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I'm sorry Jacki. I would try an immediate, emergency treatment with antibiotic in case he has an internal infection that could respond to immediate treatment.

He could be constipated, but I wouldn't wait and take a chance by treating that. Infection, if that is the cause, might be cured if caught early.

I'm not up on the best antibiotic but a broad spectrum is best, since we can't know if it is gram negative or gram positive.

I know you take care of water quality, so I would doubt it's damage from any harmful water chemistry. My hope is that it's constipation, but first... jump on treatment for infection. If his scales aren't sticking out, just has a corderoy texture to his body, it might not be too late.

Antibiotic food. He needs to eat it. Try a nuked pea for constipation, too, but go for infection immediately.

I hope he will make it.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Kanacyn. Just looked it up. A full spectrum antibiotic. Not sure where to get it. Also, something called, BSB (broad spectrum bactericide)

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
There are snails in there. Should I move them? My Q tank is finished cycling would it be too stressful to move him?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Could you move the snails?

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Yes, no problem with that. But Max is in a 20 gallon and my Q tank is a three gallon. No big, off to the LFS to give it a try. Thank you all.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
I'd move the snails, tho it might not hurt them to leave them in there with Max. Jinkzie, or Lupin, too, would be able to tell us if antibiotics will hurt the snails.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
We're pullin' for Max.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store