neep help fast.rescued discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
I just saved 5 discus from this nasty tank.one has what looks like air in his belly and he is swimming nose down,what is it and what should i medicate with?all fish are in a QT.also,what meds should I use to rid fish of parasites if there are any?can someone please help me out so I can do this right? any help would be really appreciated

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
raise the tank temp to the mid-high 80's, 86 or so.

Sounds like the on ehas swim bladder issues, blanch some peas and remove the shins and fee to the affected discus..

What are the other conditions?

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
all of them are them are jst hanging out hudled up next to eachother.the one is still nosedown too the glass.their colouring is good.just dont want the badone to infect the others with whatever he has.I dothink its dropsy

yourchoice

AC Members
Aug 6, 2006
Toronto
The one that has a swollen belly try to isolate and add 1 tablespoon of epsom salt ,mix it good y(any drug store)per 5 gallons.After 4 hours if it`s not clearing out add another tablespoon.If no improvement after 8 hours probaly swollen inside and infected.Kanamycin is drug to try.

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
my problem is I dont have another tank to put him in.I refuse to put the others in general pop.the drugs I have are cephalxin,penicillin,maracyn-two and parasite clear.can I dose the tank with epsom salt with all these fish in it?I would have to order kanamycin online witch could take days to get here

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Yes, you can do it right in that tank. The most that will happen is they'll all have some big poo for you! It's not going to hurt the ones that aren't bloated.

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
okay,scored some epsome salt put 2 table spoons in a koolaid jug with tankwater,mixed it up nice,added it to tank.Now what?watch them for a while and see howthe sick fish acts?what should I look for?he is still nose down to the glass.I did notice that his gills are really red,do you think he cycled his tank with these fish in it?I have a feeling he did.his tank was way too overstocked with dying plants.his water was way too dirtyfor discus.just looking at the fish,theyre all chillin out at the bottom of the tank.the one is still nose down.keeping my fingers crossed

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
the fish are cool except for the one,hes still nose down.the others are swimming mid water now,which I think is a good sign?I do have discus,Ive just never had 5 dumped in my lap before.I really need help here.what would you guys do if you just got 5 discus from a nasty tank and one is really sick?Im afraid to put meds in the tank because I dont know whats wrong with them.I did notice that their poop is red,is this because he fed them tetra granules only?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store