Aqua Clear 110 Power Filter Best filter for the money?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa
I Love the power of the Emperor 400's, they circulate my whole tank and keep my tank clean, but it's loud... When I first got them they where not this loud, then after a while for some reason they get louder.. Now it gets so loud I lay in bed with my eyes open trying to sleep thinking WT&...
starting to give me a headache. Not really loud loud, just the sound is annoying... I've been using it for about 6+ years

I got a Fluval 205 and it's 99% completely silent, but there is no power to it at all. I get stale water on the surface and no water circulation at all..

SO I re-installed my EMP-400 and the circulation is great, but it's loud..
I want to buy a new filter.

How quiet is the Aqua Clear 110 Power Filter filter?
Is it much better then the EMP for what I'm looking for in a filter?
I don't want to have to clean a sponge one a week either..

My tank is 29 gallons and I will be upgrading later to a 50 gallon tank later. Heavily planted with shrimp, and fish under 2" and Pressurized Co2

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
i have one and i use some filter batting under the sponge so that it gets dirty first and i don't have to clean/replace the sponge so much,..just change the filter padding, i use the white stuff not the coarser blue which does nothing much,..
and i replaced this 110 for on my 90g from my mag 350 for the ease of cleaning and its very quiet it is also on there with a peguine 350/bio wheel and its much quieter the the peg. but they are both quieter than my emp, 400

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
I had an AC110 (well, still have it, just need to repair it) and it was silent. I say was silent because I have play sand substrate and this got sucked into it and made it noisy (cory cats kick up a lot of sand) .......... I also think the sand is what killed the filter.

If you don't have sand, or use a heavier sand, or pre filter on the intake then it will be silent. Its a good filter.

maxthedog123

Can't have too many Tiger Barbs...
Jun 6, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
My 2 30g tanks are in a rack together. I have an AC110 on the bottom because it's hard to use a canister filter so close to the floor. I would say it's a very quiet filter especially when compared to the "Not So Whisper" filter I used to use. The lid occasionally rattles (which I've seen other people complain about) but usually can be fixed by just moving it a bit. For HOB filters I have come to like them the best - you can adjust the media much like a canister. Love 'em.

I have a Fluval 305 on the top 30g. I can't believe that you think you have "stale water" with a 205. I know the 305 does a fantastic job (probably "over filterered" a bit) and is nearly silent.

I have a Fluval 305 and 405 on my 55g and you can't hear them at all. The loudest thing on the tank is the fan on my current light on top.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
with a hob its never going to be too quite unless your filling it up every day..... i always say canisters are the way to go.... maybe one of the bigger models to meet your tanks need. there is always options of power heads too.

the only hob i use are ac of that stands for anything. kensfish.com has free shipping on them since hagen makes them sell them for so much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store