Hillstream Loach Tank-Mates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish-Addict

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England
Real Name
Sam
What fish would live happily in a fast moving hillstream loach tank? I want fish that stay small because it wil be a smallish tank, if my parents allow me to get another tank that is lol :) :)

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
It's too bad you're in the UK, or I could get you plenty of stream-loving species. I believe zebra and giant danios do well in the high current, moderate temp conditions that hillstreams prefer.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada

Fish-Addict

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England
Real Name
Sam
also, isn't a 50 gallon a tad big for just 3 hillstream loaches and 4/5 minnows? I thought hillstreams only grow to about two inches or a bit more.

Please tell me if i am wrong about the size of them!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
It's not the size of the fish that is the issue. It's the flow rate that is. The smaller the tank, the more the currents bounce around. Search the manifold setup in Article section of www.loaches.com. The trouble with this setup is that if the flow keeps going straight to the powerhead back again, the powerhead wears out rather quickly which is why I recommend longer tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store