Miracle Gro

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tinah

AC Members
Jan 5, 2009
tulsa, ok
So I take it I need to have a fertilizer for aquatic plants and can't just add some miracle gro? I don't want to kill my budding snail population.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Miracle grow uses ammonium-based compounds for a nitrate supplement, which isn't great for the fish. It also contains a premixed ratio of NPK, which wouldn't necessarily be the optimum ratio for your tank, which would most likely end up causing an algae bloom.

If you're not using high light and/or CO2, you may not even need ferts.

icemanx23

AC Members
Nov 30, 2008
Does it have a lot of phosphate contents? U need to look out for phoshpate or ur tank will become algae farm.

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
It isn't the phosphate in Miracle-Gro that will cause algae, it's the ammonium. It's guaranteed to cause green water if you add enough to affect plant growth.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Besides which, adding ammonia to a tank with fish? Not an obviously good idea.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Besides which, adding ammonia to a tank with fish? Not an obviously good idea.

Its ammonium, so its not gonna be very toxic, unless the pH is very alkaline, due to the conversion to Ammonia. But ammonium additions will actually bring on algea explosions, since ammonium takes a lot less energy to consume over nitrate.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Its ammonium, so its not gonna be very toxic, unless the pH is very alkaline, due to the conversion to Ammonia. But ammonium additions will actually bring on algea explosions, since ammonium takes a lot less energy to consume over nitrate.
Ammonia and ammonium exist in a pH controlled equilibrium; adding either will actually end up raising the toxic ammonia level by the same amount.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store