55 Gallon Angel Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vinjari

AC Members
Feb 6, 2007
I have a 55 gallon tank and have always loved angel fish. I want them to be the 'center piece' fish in this tank. I was thinking about purchasing 3, would that be a good number? Which fish would best compliment angels? The tank is a standard 55 with plenty of filtration and has play sand as substrate. How can I best make this tank angel friendly? Is their an ideal temp/ph level? I'd appreciate any tips or advice. Thanks!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
3 would be fine as long as none of them pair up. Put in some tall decorations, broad leaved plants, some cover for them and you should be fine. If you get 3 and 2 do form a pair be prepared to move the pair or the odd one out.

You can put corys, larger tetras etc with them.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you can house 5 but the issue to deal with is the possibility of a pair forming. which will cause territory issues in the tank.

if a pair forms you may need to find a new home for either the pair or the other angels.

ideal temp for angels 78-82.. I keep mine in this range. part of this can depend on the species of angel
P.Scalare
P.Altum
P.Leopoldi(aka dumerilli)
pH is really a non issue.. tho Altum prefer slightly acidic water low in TDS(kh/gh)
make sure to provide cover(vertical) they seem to prefer plants.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
I'm on the conservative side, so I'd suggest no P. altums (get too big) and I'd go w/ a single pair, or 2 pairs if the tank will have enough plants or other structure in it that each pair can claim an end and not see each other through the middle.

If you want more, I'd go w/ a larger number of females, no males.

P. leopoldi, though smaller than P. scalare & P. altum, is also more aggressive, so you might not get away with larger numbers despite their smaller size.

As mentioned above, med/larger Tetra species, Corys - all good

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
P. Altum and P' Leopoldi are difficult to get. P.Scalare is the most available of the species.
I wanted to pointed out the species since this can actually determine which will fit in a 55(too short fot Altum);)
the issue with angels...sexing.. nearly impossible to sex angels. the only sure way to to wait till you can examine the breeding tubes.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
Right - if you want all females (or all males), get someone who knows what they're doing to examine some that are at least quarter size, or larger (size excludes fins, you want body size at least quarter).

goalieman59

Gone Crazy, back soon
Jul 23, 2008
OFallon IL
I have 6 angels in my 55 one set has paired but the share the tank with every one else except for when they decide to lay eggs, but they always eat the eggs with in a day or so. After the eggs are gone they just go back to the way they normally are.

vtx-coley

I like waffles
Jul 15, 2007
Hopatcong, NJ USA
www.vtxcafe.com
I had 3 in my 55, two paired and made life difficult for the 3rd. I had to move him to my 29. I'd go with only two.

Now that they are in a 180, there's enough room for them to all be together without a problem.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Now that they are in a 180, there's enough room for them to all be together without a problem.
That is what I need to do, get a 180G. I also had 3 angels in a 55G, pair formed, had to move into a 29G. I am on the lookout for a big tank to put them all back together again.

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
I had my 3 angels in my 55 before I got my africans. I think I probably have all one sex as they've never paired up, though two of them scrap occasionally. The only thing I would suggest is getting them all at one time. I had a lot of trouble whenever I tried to add angels even when I did things like rearrange the tank etc. So as much as I've been tempted to add one of those gorgeous black ones I see now and again... I resist the temptation due to my past bad experiences which always seemed to result in a dead fish, or one being returned to the store when caught in time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store