Dwarf Gourami divorce?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MsBean

AC Members
Jan 21, 2009
Hi everyone, I've just joined these forums so I'm happy to be making my first post here.

I've had freshwater tanks for a number of years with a variety of different species. I had good experiences with freshwater angelfish and with guppies, in particular. Recently I decided to branch out and try some new species in my 10 gallon but I've run into a bit of trouble. A group of 6 tiger barbs died en masse after a few months (for which I blame Washington D.C. tapwater, though I can't say for sure what the problem was - something gave them a swim bladder issue). Then I decided to try dwarf gouramis instead.

I introduced (both at once) 2 male red flame dwarf gouramis about 2 months ago. The pet store assured me that they would get along fine, but in hindsight that sounds like bad advice. They have been fairly aggressively chasing each other ever since, and the stress probably contributed to one of them showing signs of dropsy and bacterial infection about a week ago. Against all odds, I managed to cure him, but now I'm wondering whether a divorce is the best way to restore peace in the tank. I tried rearranging the furniture a few times and that did seem to calm them down, but only temporarily. I'm also thinking I could try to add some more plants - perhaps live ones? - to the plastic/cloth plants and other toys in there at the moment. Or, I have a new, small 2.5 gallon tank where I could move one of them if necessary - I realize that's a tad small even for just one dwarf gourami, but I figure it would be better than having them fight over the 10 gallons. (Alternatively I will probably end up using that as hospital tank or perhaps a betta tank.) I'd be glad to hear everyone's views on what's the best way to work this out.

If I do move one of the dwarfs into the mini tank, could I then add more fish (another species - ideas welcome) to the 10 gallon? I'm wondering whether this would be a problem with the dwarf gourami already in there. I've read that it's best to add the dwarf gourami last so he won't view his tankmates as invaders, though I'm not sure how serious or true this is.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions!

Last edited:

Kevin S.

Barb Wired
Jan 3, 2009
Derry, NH
that 10 gallon killed the barbs, way to small. I have some in my29 and they could still use more space. They love to swim and chase.

MsBean

AC Members
Jan 21, 2009
Thanks for your comments everyone. Interesting to know that tank size could have been the issue with the barbs, that hadn't occurred to me.

Meanwhile, the Dwarf Gouramis have officially filed for divorce, and one of them has moved out into a comfy albeit smallish bachelor apartment. Both got some live plants as housewarming gifts, and seem fairly contented, if a little tired out from the move. I think I will let them stay single now rather than adding any new tankmates, at least for a while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store