Best way to make a cord opening in mesh?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AndiPants

AC Members
May 25, 2007
Canada
I just got the chameleon a new aluminum screen enclosure, and I am looking for the best way to run the electrical cord for his waterfall out of the screen without having a large area around the cord for crickets to escape from. The opening in the screen must be large enough for the end of the cord to fit through (the part that actually plugs into the wall), but this leaves a large area around the small part of the cord once it has been put through - there is no other way for the cord to go out of the cage except through the mesh. I also want something that will be easily able to be removed and put back on for regular cleaning. I have been to the local hardware stores and electrical stores, and they only seem to have large metal contraptions that would be too heavy and bulky for the cage.
I don't know what exactly I am looking for, or if it would just be easier to rig something up myself - so I would really appreciate any ideas or experience of modifying screen cages :)

justahannah

Fascinated newb
Jul 29, 2008
Tacoma, WA
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Hannah
I would cut a T shape in the mesh where you want the cord to leave, bend it down a little to push the cord through and back up to close it off again, maybe take a little off the intersection to make a little hole for the cord so the two edges meet flush again.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I've done this two ways - first, I just cut the cord, fed it through, then put it back together with wire nuts and taped over the joins. Do this with the cord unplugged, obviously.

The other way is to cut a large enough in the mesh to fit the plug through. I then used wire to weave back and forth all around the plug to close up the hole. Thick fishing line would probably work too.

AndiPants

AC Members
May 25, 2007
Canada
Thanks for the responses :)

The only thing I worry about cutting through the mesh in a T-shape is how well the mesh would hold up over time with the cord going through it all the time - would it become frayed? Or would there be a way to reinforce it somehow to prevent this?

justahannah

Fascinated newb
Jul 29, 2008
Tacoma, WA
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Hannah
You could probably cut some airline tubing in half, and glue a half to each edge of the screen so it would slide back and forth without and friction or wear to the wire edges. Then again, I've never done it, it's just what comes to mind :D.

*Edit* I guess it would be easier and make more sense to just use an exacto and make a slice up the tubing, so it would just slide into place and probably hold itself there just fine.

Last edited:

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
I would just cut the hole, pass the cord through, and then stitch up the opening with some fishing line like Sploke suggested...

what is the cage made of? Can you drill a hole for the cord and then seal around it with silicone?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store